Rocky Caribbean cruise

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Nieuw Amsterdam

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 09, 2018

Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 4155

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

This was our first cruise and I wished I would’ve went with a more luxurious ship with better food and entertainment. The average age on this ship is 70. The ports of call weren’t what I expected.

Embarkation

Wonderful

Ship experiences

In the dining room my food was inedible. On the lido deck food was average. We had the drink package which I don’t recommend because you couldn’t get in on the drink specials and got charged full price for all drinks even during happy hour. The food was very salty.

Used the casino which one dealer didn’t even know how to count to 21. The comedy show was great. Didn’t use the pools or spa.

I really enjoyed the comedy show. Didn’t go to any of the other shows. Wasn’t my style.

Service was great when we received it. Sometimes took a long time to get water or coffee refills. House keeping was great.

Ship was clean and well maintained.

It was very small for 4 adults. Wouldn’t recommend it.

Ship tip

If average is ok with you and very little entertainment then this is you’re ship.

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Grand Turk Island

Loved the shops here but was expensive. Great food at margaritaville.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Went with a guide that showed us all the scariest parts of San Juan. Didn’t care for it.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Lots of shops and great things to buy.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island) Did not visit port