Not what was expected!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Helpful Vote: 1

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 25, 2015
Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam

My wife and I are "Young" senior citizens and we have been cruising for 25 years. Being on this cruise made you feel like you were in a rest home instead of being on a cruise ship. The bingo crowd was everywhere. No daily poolside activities except for a steel pan drummer and canned music. The food was O.K. in the dining room but to get a hot dog or hamburger on deck took on the average 15 minutes to order and receive. The pay venue Pinnacle Grill was a disappointment also. I pre-reserved a dinner for two for the third night of the cruise based on the online menu which showed surf (lobster) and turf. When we were being seated, I noticed a menu in the lobby which DID NOT mention any LOBSTER. When I explained to the Maitre d' about the online menu he said that particular menu was over a year old and there was in fact no lobster available. I ordered something else that was not to my liking.

When we booked the cruise, I made it clear and double checked to be sure that my wife and I would be celebrating our 25th anniversary and was assured that there would be "something" special waiting in the room. When I saw nothing I asked the cabin steward to check with the front desk. He later came back and said I would have to PURCHASE an anniversary package!! Some surprise.

Lido Grill (buffet) was unusual in that there were tables very near the serving line.

More of a variety needed especially poolside.

BB King blues all-stars were excellent

Embarktation took 2 hours

Cabin (veranda) was tight for 2 people.

If you want to relax with a majority of seniors, this is the right cruise.

Been here several times. Just spent the night waiting for the ship the next day.
Been here many times. Enjoyed shopping and walking around downtown.
due to weather (rough seas) the captain cancelled our stop so we never went ashore.