MSC Orchestra Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Do not recommend

Sail Date: April 22, 2014

I have been taking cruises all over the world for over fourty years and this cruise has to be my worst experience to date. The issues I had with this cruise was that the level and quality of service provided paled in comparison to all the other cruise lines I've sailed on in the past. For example;

a) The preparation and quality of the food was poor, especially in the buffet area during breakfast and dinner. I've never seen so much partially eaten food left on the plates of the passengers. What a waste!

b)  Although you could get a glass of water in the buffet area, the servers in the dinning room will not serve you water unless you purchased bottled water. You could also forget about being served coffee or tea after your meal to compliment your desert and our server acted as if she could care less. I've never experienced this lack of service on any other cruise line before.

c) Several of the shore excursions were cancelled. When we inquired as to why, we were told because there were not enough english speaking passengers that signed up for the excursion. Passengers that spoke italian, spanish, or german were able to go on the excursion. They also blamed the lack of interpreters as an excuse.

d) From the first day of the cruise we continually experienced the smell of cigarette smoke in our cabin especially through the air supply vent. Although smoking is not allowed in the cabins or on the balcony, the passengers next to us continued to smoke. They made very little effort to correct the problem nor would they offer to move us to another cabin.

e) The scheduled entertainment on the cruise was below average. The evening entertainment in the theater was geared more towards children than adults with themes like Batman and other super heros.

The ship itself was well kept and and clean. The ports we visited were enjoyable, but those are the only positive comments I  can make about my experience on this cruise line.

Poorly prepared and served.
Frequently smelled cigarette smoke from the air supply duct.
Below average entertainment. Several shore excursions were cancelled.
Great destinations but several shore excursions were cancelled at every port. Many passengers were upset about how poorly organized the excursions were.
Barcelona, Spain
Best experienced with the hop on hop off busses. Plus its cheaper than the ship tours.
Genoa, Italy
Malaga, Spain
Lisbon, Portugal
Like Barcelona, a great place to visit!
Casablanca, Morocco

Customer service, organization, food, and entertainment needs improvement.