Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Liberty of the Seas April 6th Trip

Sail Date: April 06, 2015

Over all I was pleased, but I had not been on a cruise for about 15 years.  I remembered it was a positive experience so I wanted to take my wife and kids.  We chose Royal Caribbean because we heard it was the best.  With that reputation we expected more as we paid more.  Before I get into the problems I'd like to reiterate that I was overall please with the experience, but I would probably choose to spend any future vacation money on other vacation opportunities:

1.  Food:  While the food preparation and service was top notch, the seafood choices were not fresh.  For example I was very disappointed in the lobster bisque.  This was not a one off occurrence, all fish items except the Atlantic salmon were fishy tasting.  I had one piece of lobster in my bisque. I did not finish my serving.  Other seafood choice yielded similar experiences.  The Atlantic Salmon was ok, but a little dried out.

2.  Extra charges:  Charging for soda felt like an insult. I understand the need to charge extra for mixed drinks, but charging for soda's was a sore spot every time I drank one, even though we participated in the weekly drink pass rip-off.

Charging for internet access was another rip off.  You already have provided the service and paid for it on the ship, including it in one's package deal would set you apart from the rest of the cruise lines.

3.  Vacation ports:  Our cruise went to Labadie and Ochos Rios.  I will never go back to Jamaica.  I found the locals persistence to try to squeeze every dollar from me to  be very uncomfortable.  I was taken advantage of by a the local cigar shop who sold me a "Cohiba" knock-off for $15.  I didn't pay close attention until it was time to enjoy it.  When I found it a less than favorable cigar, another of the ship's patrons, with more cigar knowledge noticed it did not have an authentic wrapper and was probably not really a Cohiba.

On the bright side I loved the Cigar room on the ship.  It was my favorite place.  I'd love to have a living room set up like that.  It was also a great place to meet other travelers.

The ships workout facility was top notch.  Thank you.

My 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter had a great time and really enjoyed the new friends they met.

My wife and I had fun at the pool side activities and enjoyed the evening entertainment.  I also had a good run at the ping pong tourney.. thanks

All in all my family had a good time, but we will probably not be spending any more money on a cruise as our yearly vacation destination.

see other comments. fish seemed old and fishy. Service and presentation great.
Too little time and these specific locations where not good, see previous comments.
Worked just fine. Interior cabin was great and didn't seem as if the window cabins were worth the extra money.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida Very confusing for first time participants on where to to and to park.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Clean, not much to do, food was ok, swimming was cordoned off not allowing you to explore past the roped in area. had fun with kids anyway. Like the dragon's breadth.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Avoid Jamaica, poor economy and locals left us being approached by everyone for money. Every shop had almost the same "Bob Marley" goods. I don't beleive any of it was actually made by the local vendor, claiming such.

Don't go to a third world country. Go to a more civilized, wealthy port. i.e. caman islands, st thomas, etc.