Ended in disaster

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Harmony of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: August 19, 2017

Ship: Harmony of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 7156

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

The cruise started out amazing and I would say outside of what I am about to explain below everything was spectacular. We missed the cruise departure in Cozumel due to confusion regarding local time and ship time. I even called Royal Caribbean and spoke to your ETT (emergency travel team) and they confirmed with me not once but 3 times that the ships departures was 7pm local time but in reality it was 7pm ship time. Due to the ferries between Cozumel and Play del Carmen running once an hour we had no choice but to wait with the thought that we would still make it back in time. We missed the ship and incurred close to $3000 in flight/hotel/food costs for a family of 5 and then to top it off having to wait 7 hours at the Fort-Lauderdale port to have your representatives locate and find our bags and finally getting all our belongings at 3 pm. We incurred costs to fly from Cancun to FLL, fine, and we were informed we could come to the port at 8 30 am and claim our bags and booked flights with extra cushion for 1 pm only to have to pay fines and cancel our flights due to still not having our belongings and then only having option to drive back to Washington DC. This was the first cruise experience for all of my family minus me and it turned out to be the worst possible outcome.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Falmouth, Jamaica

Disembarkation

We missed the cruise by 10 minutes due to confusion regarding local time and ship time. I even called Royal Caribbean and spoke to your ETT (emergency travel team) and they confirmed with me not once but 3 times that the ships departures was 7pm local time. Due to the ferries between Cozumel and Play de Carmen running once an hour we had no choice but to wait with the thought that we would still make it back in time. We missed the ship and incurred close to $3000 in flight/hotel/food costs for a family of 5 and then to top it off having to wait 7 hours at the Fort-Lauderdale port to have your representatives locate and find our bags and finally getting all our belongings at 3 pm. We incurred costs to fly from Cancun to FLL, fine, and we were informed we could come to the port at 8 30 am and claim our bags and booked flights with extra cushion for 1 pm only to have to pay fines and cancel our flights due to still not having our belongings and then only having option to drive back to Washington DC. This was the first cruise experience for all of my family and it turned out to be the worst possible outcome. I am extremely dissatisfied with the process on how this was handled. Even though everyone was very courteous and patient there was no real support to alleviate any of our concerns or burdens. Once we were not able to get on board we were completely forgotten, no one reached out to us for support, advice or direction on next steps or aid us in anyway shape or form. I know this type of situation is a very insignificant small percentage of all the passengers that you guys deal with so this might just be falling on deaf ears.