Will Never Cruise Princess Again

Grand Princess Cruise Review to Hawaii

Grand Princess

15 Night Hawaiian Islands (San Francisco Roundtrip)

Sail Date: November 13, 2017

Ship: Grand Princess

Cabin Type: Suite

Cabin Number: E733

Review Summary

This was my first Princess cruise, and it will be my last. The boat portion, which was 11 our of 15 days, was far below average. There are much nicer cruise lines, for comparable funds. Do yourself a favor, and check all options before you book.

Embarkation

Ship Experiences

Main dining rooms were adequate, but food selection and portion size was not good. The steak house and Italian specialty restaurants had the same menu all 15 days of the cruise. The Italian restaurant didn't have regular pasta on their menu! Tried the buffet for breakfast one morning - food was cold.

Being at sea 10 days means you need varied activities. I kid you not - one of the activities on our daily list was "Elevator Roulette".....they push the button and you guess which door opens first. REALLY?!! Most activities, with the exception of Zumba, were geared for the nursing home crowd. The casino was the exception - it was fun, but they should not allow smoking in any area of it. The Ultimate Drink package we purchased when we booked the cruise (1 year ago), was sold as "unlimited". It now is limited to 15 drinks a day. Others purchased a soft drink package, and were charged for bottles of water. The internet package I purchased 6 months ago changed by the time we got onboard. I had paid 680 minutes, and in order to get that, I had to pay $50 more, which added more time to my package, but still I feel we should have been notified before we got onboard and went to set up our internet. The on-board app to "text" other passengers is not as good as others I've experienced. In addition to texting, other cruise lines include a feather to call other passengers using the app.

Very lacking in the entertainment arenal.

Not traveling with children

Must be a training boat - most staff seemed stumped by questions, and had to get help. The exception was our dinner wait staff, Alex and Victor in the Michaelangelo dining room, and John in the Steak House. They were wonderful. The casino staff was the delight of the trip. We got to know them well, and they were friendly, outgoing, greeted us by name. I am not a big gambler, but that didn't seem to matter.

The smell of sewage throughout one side of the boat was horrible. We had friends traveling with us whose toilet overflowed 3 times during this trip. From the smell outside the cabins on the 8th floor, it must happen quite often. The hair salon located on the 15th floor was positioned directly above the cigar bar, so when taking the elevator from the salon, you had to walk right by and smell all the smoke. Great for clean hair!

Beds were comfortable, tho suite was very small, and was sold as a full size suite. In room dining was offered, but there wasn't even a dining table with chairs to eat. There was a sofa, coffee table and one chair, and the bedroom area was separated by a curtain. The shower had mold on the ceiling - I complained 3 days in a row, and somewhere around the 10th day of our cruise they came in and painted over the mold.

Don't do it!

Ports Of Call

San Francisco, California

Spent the weekend before the cruise there, and had a lovely time.

Hilo, Hawaii

Took an open door helicopter ride over the volcanoes and waterfalls, booked through Viator.

Honolulu, Oahu

Booked as private car with driver to tour the island. She took us to see all the highlights of the island. Booked through Viator

Nawiliwili, Kauai

Took the Princess excursion touring Hollywood movie sites. Saw some pretty scenery, but spent 90% of the 6 hours in the bus,

Lahaina, Maui

Beautiful beaches and great shopping. Would like to return there. This was the purpose for the trip - had a destination wedding on Kapalua Beach. Hired Hawaiian Style Weddings to coordinate, and it turned out great. They did a wonderful job, and the wedding was beautiful.

Ensenada, Mexico

Only stopped there for 3.5 hours, and guess this was a necessary stop to be able to open the casino other days.

Disembarkation