Golden Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Second Mate

2015 Alaska cruise from San Francisco

Sail Date: August 10, 2015

Room Type: Suite

Love My husband and I wanted to celebrate our 60th birthdays in a special way.  So we joined 13 of our friends and relatives on an August 2015 cruise to Alaska!  The Golden Princess sailed right out of our backyard...practically.  We live approximately 35 miles from SFO, so it was a PLEASURE not to have to fly anywhere to catch the ship.  Driving across the Bay Bridge, I really got excited when the Golden Princess came into view.  It looked big from a distance but it's HUGE up close & personal.  The boarding process was very smooth.  However not having a diagram of the ship with us, it took some time finding our cabin.  We caught up with our group as we "set sail" and cheered & toasted as we cruised under the Golden Gate.  It was a beautiful sight with weather to match!!  Speaking of weather, we had sunshine, mild temps & blue skies for most of the trip.  Even the locals said it was very unusual.  I overpacked (surprise!).  Everyone working on the ship was helpful & courteous.  The food choices were extensive and delicious (you name it & I think we were served it!), however the overly attentive waiters made us feel rushed sometimes, even though there were plenty of open tables at the late seating.  I purchased the "Beverage Plan" and felt it was worth the money.  My husband & I went on several of the shore excursions and enjoyed them.  They give you a quick peak into life in Alaska.  Looking back, I would have chosen a couple of the more pro-active ones (Dog sledding, speed boat, seaplane).  Glacier Bay was spectacular!!  In the evenings we had fun in the casino!  Overall we had a great time and being with family/friends made it more special.  We tried to be up on deck for pics when we crossed under the "Gate" coming home, but alas that was the one morning we accidentally slept in!   We've already started planning for our next cruise!!

Cruise Photos

Loved our cabin!! We had a full bathroom with plenty of elbow room and a deck from which to view the beautiful scenery!
Very organized on both... We were off the ship, cleared Customs and waiting for our ride within 1/2 hr!!
Would have loved to spend another hour or two in Victoria!
Seemed like a lot going on, so there was something for everyone!
Children's Programs N/A
Typical cruiseline entertainment. Would have liked a current headliner or two...
Everyone was very helpful and courteous! 2 đź‘Ť's up! Maybe the restaurant staff was a bit too prompt though...
Many, many choices! I did feel rushed through the meals though...
San Francisco, California
Home Sweet Home Port!
Juneau, Alaska
For the Capitol it was a lot smaller than I imagined! Loved the tram ride and the view from the top!
Skagway, Alaska
We took the Yukon train ride which was spectacular!
Cruise Glacier Bay
One of the most beautiful and serene places on earth!
Ketchikan, Alaska
Beautiful fishing port!
Victoria, British Columbia
We picked the wrong tour... A quick double decker bus ride just wasn't enough. Missed seeing Buchart Gardens...

Purchased the All-inclusive beverage card and it was great! Included wine, beer, cocktails, sodas and the specialty coffee's too! A bit pricey, but felt we got our monies worth!