Unfortunately will never sail Royal Caribbean again

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Helpful Vote: 1

7 Night Western Mediterranean (Barcelona Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 10, 2017
Ship: Freedom of the Seas
Reviewed: 1 month ago
This is my second Royal Caribbean cruise, and it seems to be geared so much towards getting you to purchase something on board, it has now put me off. You get room a room, and food - everything else you have to pay for. Everything is so expensive as well, although they try to make it look good value. I will now be trying other cruise lines -this Cruise has put me off Royal Caribbean.
Arrived at the terminal early, however still people getting off, so lots of confusion. There was no direction as to what to do, or where to queue. However once the bags dropped off, the rest of the process went easy enough.

Windjammer food was ok, although as the cruise went on it got pretty samey. Didn't bother with the fine dining. This is my second RC cruise, and previously you could get squash in the promenade cafe, however they have take this away and only water is available (standard coffee/tea is available however I drink neither). If you didn't take a soft drinks package you were limited to what you could drink when the windjammer was closed. It would be nice to get squash in the cafe.

Didn't really get involved in any on board activities, although there seemed to be a lot going on.

Stage shows were good - I wouldn't say exceptional, however I do appreciate the hard work that goes into the what they do. The magician and ice show were the best.

Staff tried hard, although things went downhill in the windjammer when there were tons of people. They just couldn't cope, so plates piled up. When there were only a few people plates were taken away as soon as you finished eating, and you were offered drinks to accompany your meal. Staff do work hard, but you can tell sometimes there are not enough for the number of people. Room attendant was excellent, and very friendly.

Ship design ok, with plenty of places to relax. Room not the cleanest when we arrived (crumbs in drawers) however it was kept clean during the week. Lifts are a nightmare - you can be waiting ages for one, and sometimes they just don't move at all. If you slightly disabled you've got no chance of getting easily around without lots of waiting.

Cabin practical with lots of storage, however it does look dated. Not many mod cons. Shower was great though with the water coming out at great force - I felt like I was being massaged each time I had a shower.

Don't be prepared to be wowed, and expect lots of hard selling. They are constantly trying to get you to buy something be it drinks packages, watches, jewellery, spa treatments. I like shopping, but they go overboard pushing it. The prices are not good either - you can get much cheaper at home.

Barcelona, Spain Did not visit port

Didn't do an excursion, however got free bus into town. Not a lot going on, so got the bus straight back.
Monaco/Monte Carlo lovely, as was Nice.
Two hour journey to get to Florence for two hours, and then two hour journey back - prepared to be shattered by the time you get back. Florence is lovely, but two hours doesn't give you enough time.
Rome is lovely, but one day is not enough. Only managed to see the pantheon, and the Vatican. Missed out on the Trevi Fountain, and others
Went to Sorrento, which I have done before. Lovely area, and would like to go back again,
Good - they opened the doors...I got off. Good luck if you go to the windjammer before getting off...2000 other people have the same idea - I ended up not eating there and just grabbed some pastries