Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Third Mate

After 50 cruises this one was the most disappointing!

Sail Date: August 21, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Room Type: Suite

I can't say one thing was good about this particular cruise.  We have cruised 5 times on the Freedom.  The ship is tired looking.  Looks like it needs a makeover.  Everything on this ship is dusty.  We were supposed to sail to the eastern Caribbean but we went western Caribbean.  Didn't find out until the night of day one.  I signed a waiver saying its OK to take me to St. Thomas & St. Martin but I did not sign a waiver to say its OK to take me to Cozumel.  Understand the captain made the choice for safety reasons and I appreciate that.  However, there were so many wonderful ports we could have taken it was an insult to take me to Cozumel and Costa Maya. This is the second time we switched itineraries on the Freedom but the captain last year was different and he made better choices.  This captain was not empathetic for all the people first time cruisers, people that planned the cruise over a year ago saving their money.  The captain should have done something special he did NOTHING.  He didn't burn very much fuel because we didn't go very far.  Port fees "may" have been cheaper in Mexico?  I find it interesting this ship is leaving Port Canaveral and the new ports are going to be.... Cozumel and Costa Maya.  Coincidence?Angry  I am not a happy camper.  I usually favor RCCL but this has given me pause.

It was a nice size cabin. The cabins on this ship are very dusty. The walk in closet the shelves were dirty and I hated placing clothes on the shelves. I didn't pack dust cloths nor should I have to. Balcony was a nice size. No robes, no beach towels and I had to ask for more hangers. TV was small, stations were extremely limited. Only one plug in the cabin. I bring an extension cord. And, no clocks. Shouldn't a jr suite have a clock? I booked this cabin to be close to the concierge lounge for coffee. Machine was broken the ENTIRE WEEK.
Embarkation and Disembarkation Getting on was fine. Getting off not so much. I have learned a trick getting off faster but if I tell you... everyone will do it and it will not be as fast for me. Terrible walk getting off the ship on this sloped ramp. Need a moving escalator. Passengers bottle neck in the terminal getting off.
Wasn't as clean as past cruises and I have been on this ship 5 times.
Destinations and Excursions Very bad, very, very bad. Went to Cozumel and Costa Maya. I signed a Zika waiver for St. Thomas & St. Martin I did not sign one saying I was OK going to Mexico.
Onboard Activities Just OK.
Children's Programs N/A
Worse ever. There was one comedian that was funny and Drew Thomas was good. All the rest were terrible. Jared Wood was not singing in the piano lounge he was screaming. Poor choice.
Service and Staff They gave a lot of mis-information this week. Example I asked why we weren't going into Montego Bay and the answer was... the Allure is in there this week. The Allure wasn't in there. Then I asked where the comment card was always located by the service desk area. Several different answers I got. One it's being put out tomorrow, another answer... we don't use that anymore. Really? The cruise director and the activities director always speak and laugh at the same time so you can't understand them.
We are in the Windjammer a lot. The carpets had food everywhere. It was like they never cleaned up between service. I had to wipe my seat before sitting down. DIRTY. The tabletops all had permanent stained rings on them. Probably from glasses sweating. Terrible. By the way the ice cream machine shuts down early on the pool deck. If you want to watch a movie on the outdoor screen you won't be enjoying ice cream. Why now add a popcorn machine?
Port Canaveral, Florida
Getting off the ship is longer in this port. Lot of standing and waiting. You go down this long sloped ramp which is terrible. Should have spent the money and put in a moving escalator.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Skip this port. Nothing to do except go to the beach. I live near a beach, I can go to the beach any day I want.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Wish we had gone into this port as scheduled! We also went to Costa Maya another disappointing choice the captain made.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Don't book in August. You book August to go to lovely St. Martin & St. Thomas and they end up taking you to dirty Cozumel. I understand we change courses because of weather, however, there were far better choices than MEXICO. Last year, same thing, at least we went to lovely Montego Bay.