Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Twenty years later

Sail Date: April 26, 2015

My husband and I cruised for our honeymoon so decided taking a cruise was a great way to celebrate 20 years.  Royal Caribbean staff were excellent.  The ship was wonderful.  The food and entertainment was excellent. Boarding and debarking was much more involved than 20 years ago but they made it smooth and organized.  We arranged our cruise through .  The transfers for hotel and to/from the airport was easy.  My only complaints are with the stops.  Our first stop, Labadee, Haiti, Royal Caribbean"s private island, was expensive for all the activities.  I was disappointed with this.  We as cruisers were a captive audience and thus I felt they were taking advantage of us.  All water activities, zip line, water park, slide were way over priced.  Participation was low for the 4000 on the boat.  One general reasonable charge for all activities would be much better.  One last issue was with the tour in Jamaica, we did a RC tour of the falls and tubing.  The Falls part of the trip was great.  The problem came when we took the tubing trip.  The guides were nice but they took us into a part of the river that was Filthy with trash. The meal at the end was poor.  We decided to speak with RC tour rep on the boat Saturday evening.  He said it was too late for him to do anything about it despite learning others on same trip received a full refund.  RC needs to review the tours they advertise!  Out of the three tours purchased, two were through RC.  The other from Cheap Cruises in Grand Cayman.  The Grand Cayman tour was by far the best for quality of staff and of equipment.

The ship was clean at all times. The accommidations were excellent.
We ate in the Main Dining room for dinner each night. The food and staff were wonderful
Our dinner waiters and our steward couldn't have been better.
We attended the shows each night. We loved the Jazz band, dancers, and singers
We loved the gym. It had a 180 degree view of the ocean.
We did not like the prices or the pushy vendors on Labadee. I would not want to go back there. Jamaica tour was a bit of a disaster. The tour operator and bus driver got into a huge fight. The river we tubed on ended in a trash/sewer filled area and the included lunch was poor.
The balcony was wonderful! We had plenty of room. I loved our room.
Port Canaveral, Florida
We went straight from airport to cruise terminal so didn't see Port Canaveral.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
The activities were way too expensive and the vendors were pushy.
Falmouth, Jamaica
The tour we took was a disaster. I wouldn't bother with shopping at port.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Captian Marvin's stingray and snorkeling trip was the best of the trip. The shopping was good too.
We did a SNUBA excursion. Staff was great.

Don't miss the entertainment. The shows were awesome. Definitely eat dinner in the Main dining hall...well worth a shower and dress clothes.

1 Comment