Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Freedom-nice but not over impressed

Sail Date: September 15, 2013

Overall I had a good time on the Freedom of the Seas. My traveling partner and I are both 37. We enjoyed the itinerary except for Haiti. It was just ok. We went back to the ship early. There was always something to do on the ship and the entertainment was fanastic. Richard Spacey the cruise director and Katie the activities manager were phenomenal. I enjoyed strolling on the Promenade. The staff was friendly. I'm not sure how accomodating they are as we didn't require any special treatment or have any requests (unless having the stateroom attendant remove the coffee table counts). Those rooms are small. The areas where improvement are needed are with the food and the music. The DJ (dj James) was lousy. He wasn't a dj at all. He was more of a press play and pretend he's dj'ing. The entire week he played the same songs in the same order. It became a running joke with several guests on the ship about which song would play next. Fortunately the music was current so that it wasn't the worst. The food left a lot to be desired. The food was never piping hot, always just warm. The cooking preference on the meat was never right. It seems they serve meat either rare or well. Finding a medium cut was like finding Waldo. Most of the food was quite bland. They seem use sauce to add flavor instead of seasoning the meat. It was interesting to watch on RCTV how these chefs are so skillful and prepare foods fresh and so forth and I didn't experience any of that when it came to the food. In all fairness there were a couple of well prepared items but I never had a complete meal that was good. Believe it or not the lobster was bad. How can that be? As for the buffet, it's a buffet; you get what you get. I guess serving mediocre foods helps to remedy over eating unless you're keen on sub par food. Also check your folio. I was charged for 2 pool towels that were returned. They quickly refunded the money. I wonder how many people have paid for things they didn't take. Also it would be nice to not have to go up to 11 to get towels to go back to 1 to get off the ship when in port. You were able to check your towel in on 1. Would I sail with Royal again? Sure, I'll just lower my expectations in some areas.
I was not impressed with the food at all.
Children's Programs NA
All excursions were arranged outside of Royal