Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Not a cruiser

Sail Date: January 02, 2011

I guess cruising just isn't for me. Everything had the same feel to it. All the bars with different names yet the same atmosphere. The activities were banal. The pool was horrifically loud and obnoxious. The adult only pool area was small and still affected by the noise from the party pool area. The food was edible to average. The service was average but most of all I felt like the whole experience was about selling me something. Buy drinks, buy jewelry, buy excursions, buy Royal Caribbean clothing, buy lottery chances...just buy. We barely had any time in the ports of call which to me was the point of the trip. The first place was their island where we were invited to spend more money on R C junk. It was a beach (good) but it was more opportunity to purchase something from them and less to experience a new place. The 2 islands would have been better if we had more time. 5 hours is not enough time to experience much. The spa could use a major overhaul.

Pros: St Maarten

Cons: Ship activities

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? No.

The breakfast and lunch cafe were a buffet of passable food. Nothing impressive. The specialty restaurant was very nice. The main dining room experience was far less than I expected. We were crammed into an uncomfortable table that was not big enough for our group. Our waitress was scattered and flaky. She referred to all of the women as Senora and then had the audacity to call me "Mamma". I am the same age or younger and it was terribly insulting. She repeated herself constantly and always seemed flustered. The last night she begged us to not give bad reviews or she would be sent back to her country and have no job. She was very inappropriate. The food served was only fair.
I was bored out of my mind! I was not interested in the mindless games. The whole experience was of forced manufactured fun. I realize that I prefer to go somewhere and experience the culture of the place. A cruise is not for that as there is limited time in the ports of call. I would have been happy to sit by the pool reading but the atmosphere was not conducive to quiet relaxation and the crazed mentality of grabbing seats and saving them was unappealing. We then had severe winds that made sitting outside impossible.
Everything was clean but it all looked the same.
Stateroom attendant was great. The room was clean and a nice size. Definitely glad to have balcony.
Only felt like I was being sold something always. Nothing above or beyond. Average friendliness and service.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Took a nice island tour. Gorgeous views. Wish I had more time to really form an opinion.
Don't Miss: Megan Bay
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
I have been to St Maarten several times. I was disappointed at the very limited time here. We got a cab to the boat to Pinel Island and enjoyed the beach and some lunch. Sadly had to leave early to get back to ship. Would have loved a chance for dinner in Grand Case or strolling in Marigot.
Don't Miss: Orient Beach or Pinel Island.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
I would prefer to go to an actual island of culture and experience a new country/culture. The beach was only average compared to the beautiful beaches of other islands.This was just a chance to get off the boat but still be under Royal Caribbean's control to make money. I am not cheap and very willing to spend money on quality and fun. I did not want to spend money getting drunk and buying junk.
Don't Miss: Snorkelling