Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Discrimination against elderly women of color

Sail Date: July 08, 2016

I was disappointed with this cruise for the following reasons:

1.  As an elderly woman of color (African American) I was discriminated against by white people who did not want me and my sister friend Trudy Martin, sitting at their table. They made racist, derogatory remarks and even let their teenage son rudely turn his back to Ms. Martin, 71 years old, because she sat next to him.

2.  The above people at the table I was assigned to on 7/8/16 complained about Ms. Martin and myself, and requested that we be moved to another table.

3.  Your people never questions us about what happened, instead, you left a note in our rooms that we were being moved yet again to another table.

4.  You should have never assigned Ms Martin and Ms. Fenning to eat at 8:00 p.m. as we were both elderly women who had to eat earlier and take medication at 6:00 p.m.

5.  You should have told me and Ms. Martin that if we drink the bottled water in the room we would be charged for it. The listing was placed in the back of the large bottles so I didn't see it before I drank the small bottle of water.

6.  Free water should be offered to all passengers in their room on a daily basis without costing them money or at least have a water placed where we could fill up our bottled water without charge. Free amenities needs to be offered for passengers who save up for expensive cruises.

7.  When served, noted that white people were asked first and then Ms. Martin and myself in the dining room.

8.  Subtle forms of discrimination, racism, sexism, ageism and any other "ism" was experienced in the cruise. It has become so ingrained that people and staff don't even know they are doing it.

9.  Not a big fan of Explorer of the Sea and I'm pretty sure I won't recommend it to others.

Iwayan Ariasa was very nice and helpful. I rate him very good.