Costa Pacifica Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

Needs new computer systems and better communication to English speakers!

Sail Date: August 05, 2016

The itinerary was  the reason I chose this one.  I would never go on Costa again.  Too many people, too much being herded like cattle, they don't seem to care about English speaking people (the daily news was often missing information, like explaining that there is a Gala celebration and what that means, and the announcements were not always repeated in English).  The staff was nice, but I think they have to follow bad procedures. For example, the disembarkation meeting was primarily a sales pitch for future cruises and to rate the staff highly, and then she didn't have time for questions. The computer systems do not interface with the My costa system.....not worth the money spent.

cabin was nice, but there is no TV in English (except Fox news) and the menu button doesn't work.
Checking in was terrible....5 hours in the terminal.
Nice ship, although gaudy and hard to find way around.
The excursions themselves were fine...nice guides and good choices of places to see. However, way too crowded often and the guides didn't always have microphones so hard to hear. The excursion desk was very messed up and booked double for me, none for my husband, and didn't let us know of the numerous cancellations until last minute.
Children's Programs unknown.
good, though we did not participate a lot, being tired after excursions.
I have to say "Good" to the staff, because most were very good, like my room steward and my dining room waiters. However, service was really poor at the excursion desk. And, if you ask a question, you are sent someplace else and not helped. I asked a food service person for butter and he said yes, walked away, and never came back.
The food was mediocre, at best. Instead of serving food from the various regions visited, they served "Italian" food every day. You had to eat at an appointed time with strangers at the table if you wanted a dining room experience. Some dishes were good...hit or miss. They had TERRIBLE eggs, don't know how to make an omlette (one item added to an egg does not make an omlette); no toast. I could not believe we had to pay for bottled water and coffee (except at breakfast). Often, there was no ice.
Kiel, Germany
5 hour check in process....unacceptable.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice city, but they cancelled my excursion and I didn't find out until the night before, even though it was booked and confirmed months earlier.
Stockholm, Sweden
Tallinn, Estonia
St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
Awesome sites, but one guide for 40 people is impossible. Hermitage is extremely crowded. The representation that you won't wait in line if you book on line excursions is not true.
Helsinki, Finland
Riga, Latvia
Klaipeda, Lithuania
Gdynia (Gdansk), Poland
Loved the folk dancing with children.

Expect to spend A LOT of time standing in huge lines. Do not rely on the information given to you on the internet or on your personal "my costa" account on line since the computer systems do not seem to interface. Don't take cruises with 3800 people!