Coral Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Third Mate

Great ship. Avoid the Bayou Cafe.

Sail Date: June 17, 2015

This was our first cruise on Princess and our first to Alaska. The check in process was the best we've ever had. The ship was beautiful, clean and not crowded.

We loved our room which was more spacious than expected. Our cabin steward was fabulous.

The band "Opus" was great to dance and we followed them to every venue.

The Bayou Cafe was good at the lunch steam pot but we were warned by other passengers that they had really bad service for dinner there and took 2 hours to get their food. We figured it was an isolated incident. We were wrong. We arrived for our dinner reservation and our waiter continually ignored us to take care of tables that ordered wine and other extras. I tried repeatedly to get his attention to get refilled drinks and take our order. He finally brought an appetizer but it was terrible. After multiple attempts to get the waiter's attention I went to the Bayou maitre'd who said to just skip the appetizr and move on to the next course. He was unwilling to replace it and instead kept trying to redirect us. At the 1 hour mark without drink refills or food delivery I tried the Bayou maitre'd again. He just said food would be out soon. When we hit the 1 1/2 hour mark I went to the front desk to find a solution. When you pay extra for a meal, you expect good service. It was horrible. I met with the Maitre'd supervisor who moved us to the Italian restaurant, gave us a wonderful bottle of wine and the Italian Restaurant Maitre'd took such extraordinary care of us that we were beyond impressed. The food was better than anything we have in Orlando. I would recommend the Italian Restaurant to anyone. The food was amazing and so was the service.

We also had a problem with the safe in our cabin not working. It took several days and elevating the notification to the front desk to get it resolved.

The cruise was otherwise fabulous. The naturalist was impressive. The glaciers were amazing. The deck chairs were sooo comfortable. We look forward to using Princess Cruises more frequently.

I would give very high rating except the Bayou Cafe service ruined it. The Italian Restaurant Maitre'd, Mr Christian, was fabulous.
Everything closes so early.
The fastest I have ever experienced.
More spacious than we expected. Good lay out.
Whittier (Anchorage), Alaska
Cruise Hubbard Glacier
Cruise Glacier Bay
Skagway, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Ketchikan, Alaska
Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia
Rent bicycles and tour Stanley Park. You'll see things you won't see any other way. Three thumbs up!

Pay attention to the naturalist. Extremely helpful.
We used the on-ship laundromat which saved a lot of money and made the trip more pleasant.
The band "Opus" was great to dance and we followed them from venue to venue.
Great ship and crew. I would recommend them!!!