Celebrity Summit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Wonderful and Warm

Sail Date: January 22, 2011

Even though the Summit is slightly showing it's age, that is no reason not to take a cruise on this ship. The price is certainly cheaper due to it not being a newer ship. I think I read some reviews about the food not being good but the food was fantastic. Best food we've ever had on the 12 cruises we've taken. This was our first time with Celebrity, we usally do Royal Carribbean, so RC's food is very good but Celebrity far exceeded our expectations. We had an interior room and that was fine - plenty of room and we had several drawers we didn't even need, so lots of space, at least if you are a seasoned cruiser and know how to pack :)

Pros: Food

Cons: Shows

Recommends Celebrity Summit? Yes!

Lots of people liked the entertainment, we did not so much - but don't let that deter you from going. We've seen the same magacian before on Royal Carribbean and he's very good but years of doing the same show, it's a seen that, done that kind of thing. Other shows we walked out of b/c it just wasn't our style.
Very clean, very spacious, very nice bar areas, food areas, nothing bad to report at all.
It was the best food we've ever had. There was a night that they served spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and 4 guests at our table were on the back to back cruise so they recommended that dish since they had it the week before. The meatballs were the best I have ever had and I met the Executive Chef later in the week and asked him for the meatball recipe and he said ask your waiter for it and he can get it for you and sure enough I asked and I got the typed up recipe by the end of our meal. Awesome!!
We had an interior which we hardly ever do but it was fine for what we wanted to spend. Big shower, bigger than I've ever seen and nice size room - again for what we needed and wanted, it was perfect. Saved a few hundred dollars by doing an interior. Won't be our choice all the time but when trying to save some cash, an inside cabin works.
Staff was excellent and very visable. I have pictures with the captain, the exective chef and many others b/c they were always walking around the ship. I have never seen that before. Everyone is always friendly on ships but on the Celebrity cruise line, it was much more than usual.
Scarborough, Tobago
Tobago has only been a port for 6 months so there is really not much to see here. Again it's warm and that's all I cared about.
Roseau, Dominica
Didn't do much here, it is a poor country so can't really rate anything. We got off the ship, did a little bit of shopping and got back on. I read on cruise critic, alot of people recoommend this island, so do a tour from the ship if you are interested.
Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Not much to see here. Took a taxi into town and really, not much to see or do.
Basseterre, St. Kitts
This was our favorite port. We took a taxi to the Marriott and enjoyed a beautiful day there. Don't let the staff know you are from the cruise ship. Don't be stupid and carry a celebrity bag and the celebrity towels. The people who sat next to us got kicked out b/c they were stupid and obviously not guests of the Marriott.
St. George's, Grenada
Unless you do a tour which we don't, not much to see here. Still it's a warm there and that's why you are taking a cruise, right?