Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Fantastic Cruise and Mostly Accessible

Sail Date: July 29, 2016

Cabin: 1007, 6135, 6137

I would definitely recommend to cruise line. The surprise was how attentive the staff was and how accessible the ship was. I maintain a journal of Traveling with the Disabled and travel with my Mother and others throughout the year. Traveling with the Disabled is a challenge and anyone making the travel adventure should know there are many things to consider. Room must accommodate a mobility devise, travel arrangements must note specific requirements and accessibility requirements must be confirmed. Check twice and then a third time to ensure all is documented. On a positive note; ship is very accessible and the staff have manual wheel chairs and porters to make mobility easy. Be sure you let the cruise line know before traveling; very important. And double check before leaving. This is essential on any trip. I would like to say that Celebrity was attentive to my mother traveling with a automatic scooter and provided her with a suite that had all the accessibility features expected. l contracted Scooterround,com to provide a mobile chair for Mom.  It was in the room upon arrival and there was plenty of room for the chair and batter plug ins provided. The room was perfect and Celebrity did a follow up to ensure the chair was there. This was essential for Mom to enjoy the trip. Kudos to Celebrity, this was a great start and relief.

I was traveling with two persons with disabilities who had distance issues. The cruise ship provided manual wheelchairs and adequate porters to and from boat.

The first day we ported and were getting off boat, there was a lot of confusions for egress by wheelchairs. But when we re-boarded, confusion had been addressed and the remaining debarkations went smoothly; they gained control of the crowds and accommodated my family. Check-in was efficient, providing manual wheelchairs. Checkout had manual wheelchairs also. Keep in mind, auto wheel chairs contracted by third-parties were delivered to the rooms. Passengers still need to travel to and from room to outside check out areas. Celebrity did a great job.

Problem is with Excursions. I had issues that took some time to figure out and that cost extra money. I booked through American Airline Cruises and worked hard to ensure Excursions need to be accessible were. I worked hard to understand accessible tours and booked accessible excursions for those that needed them with the travel agent. I checked with AA travel agent several days before leaving to confirm accessible excursions, then check with Excursion Desk on the ship to ensure one more time that needed special excursions were accessible. This was my problem issue. The Excursion Desk told me my rooms, three total booked under my name and with one credit card, were not noted to be associated with accessible needs. Two of the rooms I booked were Accessible. Not sure where the disconnect was, but I spent a lot of time with the very competent and helpful Excursion Desk Manager Fiona to resolve how to change up the excursions to accommodate everyone. Fiona made several calls and sent several email and fixed two of the three excursions. Mom and Laura never experienced problems or embarrassment.  There were a few hours we were sitting around while manipulations were made, but all turned out OK. I am home now, but still trying to correct charges and credits related to the changes and issues we had with the first excursion that was canceled. Mom didn't get to visit Saxon; accessible tour was not available although she was confirmed for it.

Cruis lines are not required to be constructed with USA Accessiblity Standards / Codes, however this ship was very accessible and I am impressed that they implemented the most current accessibility standards / codes available.
My family of 6 enjoyed the excursions. But Mom's excursion to Saxon was canceled and her two excorts needed for tour are being charged. She only went on the Trolley Tour because hers was canceled. She was confirmed for an accessible tour, but that tour was canceled. She couldn't go alone on another tour substituted and her companions were charged to do the tour. The two companions only went to escort her, eventhough an earlier tour they went on included the same destinations. Mom's escorts saw the same things twice.
Children's Programs only a 15 year old girl was traveling with us. She told me she had a great time and love everything.

Always spring for the Premium Beverage Package. I wanted an Alaskan beer; $6.50. I started with Classic Beverage Package. I t would have cost me $6.50 per beer, even though I had a Classic Package. Classic Package only covered Bud Light and maybe Heineken; up to $5.50. $6.50 full charge is to you.