A Great Cruise

Celebrity Mercury Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

14 Night Panama Canal Westbound (Ft. Lauderdale To San Diego)
Sail Date: March 04, 2007
Ship: Celebrity Mercury
This was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare too and heard some complaints during the cruise, I found it wonderful indeed. The staff was hard working and due to illness on board, under a lot of strain and working extra hours but still were polite and helpful and pleasant.

The food (especially the service) was excellent, sometimes we had to ask what was in some items and our wait staff would explain how the items were cooked etc. There was always something on the menu that we liked. I was impressed that the wait staff would remember the things that you liked and make sure you got them again (such as tea, type of bread, etc)

The shows were very good, talented people, entertaining.

All of my other comments are full of my impressions of the staff.

With the exception of the last few days, when the bleach became overwhelming, I found every area clean and beautiful

I had been told that there was very little space for your clothes on a cruise ship, but did not find that to be the case. I was traveling with another lady and we both had plenty of room to put away our clothing. We could have used another electric plug so we wouldn't have to unplug the clock to dry our hair!! The hair dryer in the bathroom was wimpy.
We only went ashore for a short time.
We were here only a short time and were tendered in at night (which was spooky!!) and had time for very little except shopping.
We took a local tour on the "Banana Bus" which was inexpensive and wonderful. We saw most of the island and learned a lot of history, local customs etc from the driver. I would take this tour again.
I found Acapulco to be an interesting contrast between the old and the new. We booked a tour on the ship that took us to the cliff divers, a park and other places. I would recommend this tour.
We booked a tour on the ship and was a little disappointed. We did see some interesing things, such as the Cactus Gardens and a glass blowing operation, but the majority of the time was spent in San Juan where the main deal was shopping. Most of the shops we visited had the same merchandise that could be found near the pier, but at twice or more the price. This town was dirty and smelly. The Cabo San Lucas part of the tour was great, just too short.
This was one of the most beautiful spots we visited. In a few years, it will be built up enough to become one of the premier spots to visit in Mexico.

Pros: the staff in every area made me feel as if my comfort was very important

Cons: Even tho I am sure it was necessary (and the reason so few were ill), the smell of bleach did become tiresome

Recommends Celebrity Mercury? Yes!