Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Fabulous Cruise - exceeded expectations!

Sail Date: March 16, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

This was our first cruise, and everything about the Carnival Valor far exceeded my expectations. I had read some reviews before going on our cruise, and a few comments had me a little worried, but I worried for nothing. Everything was perfect. The ship was in excellent condition and it had everything you could ever want or need. It did take a little getting used to with the fact that not all elevators went to all floors, but this was really no big deal. This ship has a waterslide, several pools and hot tubs, a great gym, mini golf course, walking track, basketball court, casino, theater, tons of bars, restaurants and shops, and best of all a superb Camp Carnival for children ages 2 and up.

Pros: Everything - food, service, children's programs

Cons: Disembarkation

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
We left the kids on the ship at this port because we hadn't scheduled any activities, and we didn't really know if there would be anything appropriate for them. The downtown area was very depressed, so we were glad that the kids weren't with us. We only spent a couple hours walking around the town and then we were ready to go back on the ship. We did hear from others that there were some very good excursions, but I can't comment firsthand as we didn't do any.
We had a nice time in Cozumel. There is a nice shopping area right at the port, but you can also take a cab ride to some nearby beaches, and this is what we did. We left the kids on the ship in the morning for a couple hours while we explored the shops, and then we went back for the kids to go to Paradise Beach. It was only a $16 cab ride to the beach, and we all had a nice time there.
Belize City, Belize
Unfortunately for us, it was a very rainy day when we arrived in Belize, so we really just stayed around the shopping area in the port. The kids were with us, and it seemed very safe, but we didn't do any excursions here either.
George Town, Grand Cayman
This is a very nice port, but my husband and I had already been here on our own, so we tried to make it more enjoyable for the kids. We spent a little bit of time walking around the downtown area and the shops, but then we took a taxi to the 7 Mile Beach so the kids could swim and play in the sand. This worked well for us.