Nice and laid back

Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Magic

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 06, 2018

Ship: Carnival Magic

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9265

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

We took this specific cruise mainly for the two Guy Fieri branded restaurants and the water slide and it fell at the right time of the year. As far as Carnival ships, the bigger ships are hands down better than the two Long Beach ones, we were impressed with the number of different dining venues, Indian to Pizza, Mexican to salads, Italian to Mongolian, and mostly free. The Serenity deck was a pleasure, we could hang out there and I could pop around the corner and be on the water slide, plus they kept an ice water dispenser on the bar. There was good entertainment tucked away on the ship, but most of the hyped stuff was geared to those who need extreme stimulation (laser lights in the eyes?) to enjoy a show. One big plus for Carnival, the shower in our room was slippery after the steward cleaned, and the wife slipped and hurt herself. Carnival charged us for the doctor visit, X-Rays, and drugs, then applied a credit to set it to zero, and furnished a free wheel chair for the 6 days. Would we do it again, maybe, the food options are very tempting.

Embarkation

We had FTTF and wheel chair, arrived at the terminal around 1030, got our paperwork done, and were on the ship by 11:20, room as not ready until about 12:30 but the Pig and Anchor was a good waiting spot.

Ship experiences

The main dining room dinner food was not as good as I had hoped, don't get me wrong, the food was good, just not as good as I am used to on other lines. That said, the main dining rooms were one of the best decorated as far as feeling like a main dining that I have been in, VERY nice ambiance! And the staff were very good at what they did, but they seemed to have a lot more tables to cover than I am used to seeing (your time dining). I especially liked Devy, Gede, and I Putu (our dinner waiters for the entire trip), they did some menu modifications that I rarely get on other ships and made the dinner a delight. As far as breakfast, the main dining room was good, but the menu never changed. We ate a lot on the Lido deck, a lot more choices including the breakfast burrito and pizza areas. Too many restaurants to go over, but the variety of eateries would make me want to do this ship (or related ones) again.

Lido Marketplace

Better layout than some, but still hectic. Lots of choices, and a great place for informal dining. Did most lunches and breakfasts around this area. And outside the market place are more good places like pizza, Indian, Hamburgers, and Burritos. The crowding is the only issue, other than I ate way too much :) .

Pizzeria

For a standard ship's pizzeria, this was very good. The pizza place is open all night, and you can request a combination that is not on the menu. I would mark it excellent but the cheese was not laid on evenly, but order extra cheese and sometimes it is.

Restaurants

Pig and anchor, not always open, sausage, beef, pulled pork, chicken, mac-n-cheese, beans, potato salad, coleslaw, bread as I recall (there are more items). Loved the chicken, beef, and sausage, potato salad was better than average. The biggest issue is the lousy design, if it is raining you are standing in the rain runoff from the roof unless you literally belly up to the counter and then you still get splashed. Why not extend the roof out to the edge of the promenade?

Mongolian Wok

Nice, but not what I am used to. Nice thing is, they seem to rotate some of the proteins to make things less boring.

Cucina Del Capitano

Ate lunch here one day, the clam sauce was one of the best I have had, a LOT of clams, and even had 4 shells with the meat still in them.

Water slide, my hind end still hurts from too many trips down them. Music, they had some very good musicians, unfortunately most of the ones we liked were in not in the mainstream areas. Serenity Deck, relaxing.

Slide Entrance

Fun! I like that they had two different types of slides. Only negative was maintenance, some of the welds were broken at places on the slide climb and entrance.

Shows were not very good, but we did find one group, Blackjack in the Redfrog Pub that were great country singers/players. We wish they had been featured in the Showtime play Country Roads instead of what was features. The Showtime theater seems to substitute blinding you by flashing lasers in your eyes and numbing you with massive sound pressure with quality acts. That said, Flick is a definite must see. Kevin Navarro was great on the steel drum, Sky Breeze (strings) was enjoyable. And I do not know the band, but they were a brass trio that were fun to listen to in the Alchemy bar area.

Spotlight Lounge

All four comedy acts (the PG version) we saw were fun.

No children with us to really know what to say.

Waiters mostly outstanding, room steward was good but not as visible as expected, Most of the other staff on this ship was much better than our last Carnival, which was a pleasant surprise.

Really need to do another trip to say much about the layout, we kept finding new things. But I did notice a lot of minor thing, broken rails, rust, painted over rust that was peeling and some other items that grated on an ex-sailor. On the plus side, we always saw staff sweeping, mopping, and keeping the floors clean. and dusting things off.

Standard balcony room, some signs of aging, balcony door whistled when the wind was just right, shower head was not tight and we noted that and they fixed it within two hours. Water was warm, the valves in shower and sink did not seem to go 100% to cold (shower was only about 50%, always a nice warm shower). Note that you are near the elevator, but the design of the elevator area and some walls made that a non-issue.

Ship tip

WALK ALL OVER THE PLACE, there are many hidden gems outside of the cabin areas.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida Did not visit port

In transit

Cozumel, Mexico Did not visit port

Belize City, Belize Did not visit port

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Had to go out and cancel our tour. Making you file/funnel through a long narrow store to get into the main area is a pain. Other than that I enjoyed my walk, it is a pretty area. Try the nature walk going to the port's beach area.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico Did not visit port

Disembarkation

Fast, bags easy to find, wheel chair zipped right out to the car rental shuttles.

Traveler Photos

Towel Critter Invasion Towel People and Critters Mahogany Bay Costa Maya From Ship