Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Terrible Guest Services- One Passenger Saved, 3900 Passengers Screwed

Sail Date: July 09, 2016

Myself, my wife, my two daughters (18 and 21 yrs old), and my niece ( 17 yrs old), took the July 9th Western Caribbean cruise , on the Carnival Magic, out of Port Canaveral. It was our 8th cruise: 3rd with Carnival, and 2nd to these destinations. It was my niece's first trip outside the U.S.

The destinations are as follows:

- Costa Maya- exist only because of the cruise ships. You can take a short cab ride to Mahahual Beach, but that is all there is to really do.

- Belize City, Belize- book a snorkeling trip to one of the small islands around the barrier reef. Otherwise , you can take a tour of Mayan ruins, or hang around Belize City ( not real safe)

- Cozumel- we booked a swimming with the dolphins excursion through the ship.

- Isle Roatan, Honduras- Tabyana Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches on the Caribbean. Beautiful blue water, bleached white sand, tiki bars and  a rock formation on one side of that provides for great snorkeling.

On the first day, a passenger had a heart attack on the track surrounding the pool. The captain made the decision to divert to Miami. He then made the announcement that we would not be going to Isle Roatan, Honduras, and would instead be going to Key West.

There was a mob scene outside Guest Services  full of angry passengers who paid for and were looking forward to going to Isle Roatan.

Everyone sympathized with the ailing passenger, but when the captain made the decision to assist one passenger, he inconvenienced 3,900 other passengers. And when it was time for Guest Services to try to appease the upset passengers, they completely dropped the ball.

I am  in sales, and when I have an upset customer, the first thing I do is get in front of that customer and try to defuse the situation. I have also had instances where I had to provide a substitute product, but I offer the customer some kind of incentive if they will accept the substitute. CARNIVAL GUEST SERVICES DID NOTHING !! Jorge Tasayco- Guest Services Manager even sent out a letter saying that they would offer nothing. Not even a free bottle of water. NOTHING!!!  Carnival Corporate even sent notification that they would do nothing . Bottom line , we paid the same amount to go to Key West as we would have paid to go to Honduras.

On my third trip to Guest Services , I demanded a meeting with the Guest Services management. I met with Jorge Tasayco and Carlos, who I assume was his boss. I explained  how the situation was mishandled from the start, and how many unsatisfied customers there were on that ship.I tried to explain that by basically ignoring the customer complaints, all they were doing was losing customers, and in the competitive industry of cruising, repeat customers are a large portion of their market. On my subsequent call to Guest Services  (Corp), I was told that Carnival is about the cruise experience, not the destinations. HOW NAIVE ! What customer books a cruise , NOT based on the destinations.

I told him how my family was looking forward to seeing Tabyana Beach again, and how that and the dolphin excursion in Cozumel was to be the height of the cruise.    Carlos did seem to get my point and he did upgrade our excursion in Cozumel, which was greatly appreciated. I just hated that I had to raise hell for three days in order to get any attention. I talked to other passengers who had similar experiences.

On the positive side, our wait staff , Augusto, Alfredo, and Kristina, were excellent. And the folks at the Red Frog Pub, Latoya, Orlando, Wilner, Elvis, Ryan , and Jesse Alan Horn on guitar, made it my happy place.  The Cruise Director, Dr. E, was also very good.  I kind of got the sense of what it would be like to be the cruise director on the Titanic.

I urge you to see the Western Caribbean. And if you have a chance to see Tabyana Beach on the Isle Roatan, take it. JUST DON'T TAKE CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES!!!!! Spend a little extra on Royal Caribbean or Norwegian , but get your money's worth.

PS. Carnival is in the process of taking down their Cruise Review forum in August. Just another example of how Carnival really does not care about Customer Service/ Guest Relations.

Roberto did a great job
Suspect package delayed embarkation. Disembarkation - we waited 45 minutes- 1 hour
Dr E was very good. Only a couple of shows on the big stage, so everyone waited in line for the 1/2 hour comedy shows.
Everyone except Guest Services. Special props to our wait staff: Augusto, Alfredo, & Kristina, our bar tender-Lucian and the folks at the Red Frog Pub- Latoya, Ryan, Orlando, Wilner and Elvis.....and Jesse on the guitar
Port Canaveral, Florida
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Taken off the itinerary. Tabyana is a beautiful beach and we are very disappointed we missed it
Belize City, Belize
Swimming with the dolphins was great. I highly recommend it.

Do not take Carnival. Customer service is no longer their main objective. Pay a little extra and go with Norwegian or Royal Caribbean, and get your money's worth