Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Second Mate

Galveston on the Freedom! I might think twice next time.....or not!

Sail Date: April 04, 2015

This was my fifth carnival cruise and 1st cruise out of Galveston.  I think the feel and vibe of the Texas Cruise was a lot different.  I felt that Florida cruises are a little more of a party atmosphere.  I also felt IMO that the Texas cruise was a little less culturally and racially diverse.  Even the comedian made a joke about it.  I felt there was a little catering to Texans.  For example there was a country singer in the Red Frog Pub EVERY night.  The Freedom is a nice ship. I could see areas where it is definitely aging and needed some small repairs.  I'm not into decor, so to me it didn't look any different than the Liberty. This ship has the 2.0 upgrade, which means it has the Guy Burgers, and Blue Iguana which I love.

There were plenty of trivia and dance classes etc.I felt entertainment was great.  The Playlist productions were awesome.  I really enjoyed the 80's to the Max and the Getaway Island Shows.  The standard Hairy Chest Contest and Love and Marriage game were hilarious and always fun to watch. Also the Big Screen movies were new DVD releases. There was something for everyone. I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6.  We had plenty of popcorn and warm blankets, which made it more fun.  I was charged $20 for bingo, which I didn't play.  I was given the run around and it took 40 minutes for the charge to be removed. Also my balcony was cleaned on the last sea day without notification.  Other than that, I have no other complaints.

PORT AND SHORE EXCURSIONS:                                                                                                                                                                                The weather was perfect!!! :)      Cozumel: Awesome!       I did the Sea Trek Helmet Belize:    Awesome!!      I did the Alta Hun and River Wallace TourHonduras - Amazing!!!    I did the Dolphin Encounter at  Anthony's Key

CABIN:                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Balcony 8348.  The cabin was clean and roomy. Although the mattress was not very comfortable the pillow were great. I could hear some noise from the Lido Deck.  The noise didn't disturb me too much, but I'm not a light sleeper.

DINING:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I ate in the MDR 4 out of 7 nights.  The food was good and so was the service.  I actually prefer the buffet.  All the food was really good, especially Guy's Burger.  I had brunch on a sea day and it was the best.  I ate alone and enjoyed my quiet time.

DISEMBARKATION AND EMBARKATION:                                                                                                                                                                        A breeze..... I had FTTF (faster to the fun) it took me only 15-20 minutes to get on and off the ship.  I did self-assist meaning; I carried my own bags off the ship.  I heard some people waited 2 hours to get on board.  Until I make platinum I will always get FTTF.

Overall a good cruise.  I'm glad I tried a different homeport this time.  I think I will continue to sail Carnival and try different US homeports to see if there is any difference.  I do understand the itineraries; time of year can also contribute to the feel and vibe. So I'm open to trying them all.

Everything was delicious!
The bed was not very comfortable but the pillows were great
Adam in the MDR was amazing!
The Playlist Productions were wonderful. The Getaway Island was my favorite
Children's Programs no kids
The activités were adequate,
I enjoyed all my excursionsm
Galveston, Texas
The wait to get on the ship was 2 hours. I'm glad that I had Faster to the Fun.
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Beautiful port. There is a free beach right at the port. It was crowded but a great option for those on a budget.
Belize City, Belize
This is a tender port. I enjoyed the tender ride. I enjoyed visiting this country and learning about it's culture, history, and nature.
I've been to Cozumel many times. It's still a nice port.

It seems like no one knows about the fish and chips. The food was delicious and there was never a line.