Great Experience

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Helpful Vote: 1

10 Night Panama Canal Experience (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 11, 2008
Cabin Type: Suite
The ship was beautiful, plenty of activities, very nice staff, good buffets, many different places to dine. They had children's programs on board for kids 3+, but we did not utilize this program (you had to drop them off there for the day, like a daycare). Our kids (2 and 4) enjoyed doing all of the things we did. They had a mini golf course, a kiddie pool (which kids have to be potty trained to use, no swim pampers) and a basketball court. I did not feel comfortable taking my kids to the main pool, it seemed too adult oriented. They have three pools, the kiddie, the main and the adults only pool (very nice). They have two specialty restaurants on board, but kids under 13 are not allowed. There were not many kids at all on our cruise, most of the people on board were retired couples. I was always worried about my kids making too much noise or running around since everything was adult oriented. Aside from that aspect of kid unfriendliness, all of the staff and other cruisers seemed to like my kids which made me feel a lot better. We did attend the shows every night with the kids and listen to the nightly live entertainment in the main lobby, we all enjoyed that. All in all, we all had a wonderful time and I would do this cruise again, with the kids :)

We did not dine in the main dining room since we prefered to eat at our leisure at the Windjammer buffet. We had a 2 and a 4 year old with us so the more casual dining of the Windjammer was best for us. The food at the Windjammer was good, some things were mediocre and others were very good. You could not beat the selection of food there and the staff was always very friendly and eager to help. We got to know a lot of the staff in the Windjammer, they were a very nice group of people. They have two specialty restaurants on board, but kids under 13 are not allowed, so we did not get to try those. As for attire, we brought a lot of dressy clothes for dinner, but did not use any of them since we ate at the Windjammer every night. If you plan to eat at the buffets, it is always casual, but the main dining and specialty are dressy.

I enjoyed the Bingo and the shows after dinner. I also liked the dance lessons.

The staff was always very friendly and eager to help, a very nice bunch.

The ship was beautiful, very big, clean.

We stayed in a grand suite and it was wonderful, I highly recommend it, especially for a family. It was nicely kept, very spacious and had a large bathroom. I especially enjoyed having a balcony.
We went to the beach here, it was nice. After we ate at Margaritaville, nice too. I wanted to visit the turtle farm (10 miles north from port) but the kids needed naps after the beach.
We did the Pontoon Boat Ride, I do not recommend it, not too exciting. I heard that the Sloth farm was good though.
I liked Aruba, especially the coast. Do not miss the Lighthouse (the view is spectacular), the natural bridge or the 7 mile stretch of beach!!
Don't Miss: Lighthouse, Natural Bridge, Beach where all the hotels are

Pros: My Balcony and Suite, buffets, shows, Bingo, freindly staff

Cons: Not very kid friendly although all the staff seemed to like kids very much

Recommends Brilliance of the Seas? Yes!