Wonderful Canada & New England Cruise on Anthem OTS

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Anthem of the Seas

9 Night Canada & New England (Cape Liberty Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 12, 2017

Ship: Anthem of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 13624

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful 9-day cruise from Cape Liberty, NJ (New York Harbor) to New England (Boston, Bar Harbor, Portland) and Canada (Halifax, Saint John) 10/12-21/2017 on Anthem of the Seas. The weather was unseasonably warm, but unfortunately, the fall foliage colors just weren't there this time (of course, nothing that Royal Caribbean can do about that). Our only real complaint is that neither the air conditioning nor the bathrooms were working on any of the buses used for our excursions... perhaps better tour operator screening is warranted? Overall, a great trip and one we'd take again. On a side note, we are very proud of Royal Caribbean's response to 2017 hurricane relief... another reason why we're "Loyal to Royal".

Embarkation

Embarkation was easy and efficient.

Ship experiences

We chose "My Time" dining option in American Icon Grill... we were seated immediately each night there, and Ernesto and Oleg (Table 771) were great and treated us very well. The Windjammer is a madhouse during peak hours, so we tried to avoid that by getting there when they first opened for breakfast and lunch. I was particularly impressed that Joseph, the Windjammer head chef, personally took the time to stop by my table (and many others) at breakfast to chat and ask if there was anything he could do for us. While I understand that they are trying to accommodate everyone, I believe that the additional tables placed along the wall in the Windjammer walkways are a major annoyance and perhaps a safety issue, as it narrows the path down to one lane. I saw more than one electric cart collision with passengers and tables in those areas.

I especially enjoyed the "All Access" tour and "Captain's Corner".

The technology in "Two70" venue is amazing. Spectra's Cabaret and other shows were exciting and professionally produced. We loved the "Resurrection: A Journey Tribute" band concert, and "Love and Marriage" show was hilarious, as always.

We traveled without kids.

Our stateroom attendant Adolph was unobtrusive and efficient, and responded to our requests in a timely manner. We had an issue with one of our morning tours getting back late and causing us to miss our afternoon tour, but the Royal Caribbean Excursions staff quickly offered alternative accommodations. A liquor mischarge to our account was quickly and efficiently resolved by Guest Services staff.

The Anthem was beautiful and immaculate, but the air conditioning in both our stateroom and the public areas could have been a bit cooler.

Our stateroom (13624) was spacious and beautiful, and we really enjoyed the balcony often. However, we'd really like the option to hear the Captain's daily announcement in our stateroom... had to open our door to hear it. The shower seemed larger than that on other ship classes.

Ship tip

Despite the fact that Anthem OTS carries a lot of passengers, there are lots of niches around the ship for peace and quiet... seek them out. Also, the "flying bridges" to the side of the Solarium are a great place to see the sights.

Ports of call

Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey

Boston, Massachusetts

Bar Harbor, Maine

Portland, Maine

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Saint John, New Brunswick

Disembarkation

Self-carry disembarkation was easy and efficient.