The Good, The Bad and the great.. A step above the rest.

Amsterdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

7 Night Alaskan Explorer (Seattle Roundtrip)
Sail Date: August 14, 2016
Ship: Amsterdam

I was more delighted with the experience offered by Holland America than another cruise line. HA did not take a casual approach or interest in muster, health and my safety in general. Some of my positive experience probably had to do with clientele that was more to my liking.

The entertainment was great. I saw a wedding party on board with little kids, all the way up to grandparents. There was something for everyone; Gameshows, Movies, Comedians, Jugglers, Live band, Swimming, Ping Pong, Free in-room movies, and on and on. Not an extra fee for room service either. I even got a haircut on board. They offered meetings on the culture and history of what we will see to maximize our shore experience even if we were not purchasing an excursion.

The bad... I would have liked to have been able to approach the Hubbard glacier without the constant dialog of our guide. She was knowledgable. However, it would have been great to have a place where one could experience approach without constant berash of every random thought. For me I just wanted to take in the serenity beauty and grandeur of the experience with the natural sounds of the ocean, glacier and wildlife.  In addition, some of the maps and paper handouts had small fonts or colored dots with numbers that where impossible to read unless you where under 45 and had excellent vision. Sometimes I had to take a picture with my phone and then zoom in. These things were very minor but worth mentioning.

If you have only cruised to tropical destinations, I would definitely recommend you get out of the heat and join this Alaskan cruse.

About what you would expect as far as a room. There is a DVD player in every room with a shops library of movies to watch for free.

If you are coming from your state room and you know where you want to pop out up top it is sometimes easier to do the lateral walk on a stateroom deck than it is an entertainment deck. However for the first few time do that walk on different decks just to explore the ship.

If you are into aviation history. Go see the Museum of Flight.
You will see a lot of other boats on the water here.
Go to the Harley Davidson shop and get a t-shirt. Cool souvenir. Also the Red Dog Saloon is something you may want to see.
Everyone will congregate on the Bow but there are other places to get a good look at the glacier, like Deck 3 and the stern that may not be as crowded.
If you are craving McDonalds there is one about 1 mile from the drop off point. I good walk but you can get your $1 Diet Coke as your reward once you are there.
Don't need to walk everywhere. There is a free bus the goes all over town. All the way from the totem poll center, clear out to the new town mall.
If you are in shape it is a fair bit of a walk to town. There is a bus called "first choice" once you start walking. It cost $3 instead of $10.