TIPPING...

I was disappointed on my recent cruise that I overheard SEVERAL people talk about tipping and NOT tipping. The gratuity added to the bill per day is nothing when split among all the crew who work day and night to take care of passengers, who at times, can be demanding and ungrateful! I always added something to the ticket even when the charge was 0.00 (with the cheers package for drinks). I also took cash along to give to crew members who were especially helpful and made our vacation more special. I don't suspect crew members are well paid and they are definitely over worked. A little something goes a long way to say Thank you!!!

17 Answers

I have only been on two cruises. I thought it was only customary but I quickly heard all the complaints at the service desk and even thought to myself that the poor people working guest services the last night must hate all the "what gratuities" questions about their bills. I don't think it's nearly enough and I try to make sure those crew who worked so hard to take care of us know own they are appreciated.

Nicely said. And I also agree with BAK too on the stance with class and cruisers. I think we all know that cruising is not an inexpensive vacation, and there are things they are going to try and sell you on, but the golden rule people! Karma will come back and bite you. I try and carry some cash as well, because it is that instant gratification and they don't have to wait until whenever they pull the expense accounts. If a poolside waiter is keeping my drink full and paying attention, throw a couple bucks their way.

We carry cash in our pocket for each person who we feel deserves a little something extra. We hand it to them directly & thank them for their awesome service. If our steward brings us extra pillows with a smile...tip! If the hostess gets up the seat we want...tip! We try to make up for all the non-tipping jerks & they really do deserve the extra gratuity.

Years ago, the subject of tipping seldom came up. We stuffed the envelope and that was it. I've stated that cruisers have less class than they did years ago. Threads like this reinforce that idea. And how many aren't discussing tips, and just not leaving them ?

Sorry for the double post

I will usually tip the bartender a dollar per drink (regardless of whether I have a package or not). If in the regular dining, I will tip the waiters at the end of the cruise, as well as the cabin staff, according to their service. Generally, they get good tipsBig Smile

Very well said. I totally agree with your stance and like the thank you cards. I never thought of that but will definitely adapt that!

The gratuity issue comes up a lot in cruising discussion. Some reticence to tipping is cultural so try not to be too judgmental about those who do not participate. That said, I don't understand the practice of going to guest services to demand all gratuities be removed from one's bill. Yeah, I know those statements stand in opposition to each other but when I've witnessed people doing it, their behavior is rude, borderline spiteful, and condescending toward the crew. Perhaps it is the behavior that bothers me.

We tip to recognize high quality, personalized service. I bring Thank You note cards and hand write an acknowledgement of our appreciation with the additional tip enclosed. That way crew members know what they did to make our travels all the more enjoyable.

regardless of poor service in some spots I have never had a cruise where all the staff have been horrible. you tip above and beyond for exceptional service, and everyone else get the standard gratuity

I still do the envelopes Happy

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.