Formal night

Is dinner served at formal night and if so, what is a typical meal? Sailing harmony in December. Thanks!

19 Answers

Depends upon the line. But often its lobster and filet.

Thank you!

I have worn nice jeans (no holes dark color and no distressing) into the MDR on Carnival, RCI and Celebrity on casual night with a button up shirt and dark leather shoes and have not had any issues.

I have a similar question about the formal night wear....I don't like dressing up at all, and have a disability that limits me from wearing nice, dressy, high heeled shoes. Thankfully, I got confirmation from other wonderful people that what I had planned to wear was just fine.

I didn't know that Princess doesn't allow shorts for their regular dinners. So my question is...I was just planning to wear sundresses and have hubby wear jeans. Are jeans that aren't torn good enough?

Thank you, and happy and safe sailing to all of us!

I guess the O.P. asked what meal is served on formal nights not what are we going to wear. Most comments including the one from Yours Truly dealt with formal attire.

We have found that the MDR dinners are usually a cut above the normal fare on formal nights. Like, steamed lobster or prime cuts of Rib Eye instead of choice, and maybe caviar dish of some sort or escargots. Due the better meals sometimes the MDR can get pretty crowded on those nights overworking both the wait staff and the kitchen staff, this in turn leads to a diminution of the meal quality. We used to book a specialty on formal nights to make sure getting all dressed up wasn't going to be a downer due to the stressed out MDR staff.

One time I was making specialty reservations and the receptionist said why are you gong there that night, we are having lobster in the MDR. She changed my mind and the meal and service was super that evening.

We always dress up for formal night (albeit not a tux and gown, but DH will wear a dress shirt and tie and myself a dress). It's fun for us!

I love to dress up. At home I get to wear jeans and grunge wear all the time. It’s exciting to get dressed up and go out for one or two nights. I love to people watch on formal night. You can tell who enjoys it and who doesn’t.

We had 2 formal nights on the Carnival Splendor 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I filmed the entire trip. Feel free to check out my videos

https://youtu.be/3wrVs-6MeBw

I enjoy dressing up. I go to work at the office in shorts sandals and a hawaiian shirt all the time so dressing nice once in a while is refreshing.

We also like to dress up. Wink But tend to bend to the trend on most Carnival cruises.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.