Formal night

Is dinner served at formal night and if so, what is a typical meal?  Sailing harmony in December.  Thanks!

12 Answers

Yes dinner is served on formal night. There will be a selection on the menu to choose from. Some formal nights they might offer surf & turf. The surf will be lobster or shrimp.

Formal nights are not that formal anymore. I do not see packing a tux that I will only wear for one evening so I just go in a pair of dockers, long sleeve shirt and a tie. I have done this on princess and Carnival and had no issues getting into the MDR.

Dockers, shirt and tie is the way to go.

Thanks

Formal nights on the Anthem of the Seas were day 2 and day 6 on a t night cruise. Some wore tuxes and some wore suits while others were more casual. It is a matter of what you like. We did notice though that many more chose to dress up than we had seen on our last cruise on Breakaway. The formal night on day also offered lobster tails on the MDR menu and they were complimentary.

Just got back from Empress of the Seas on RCI. Not many dressed up more than a button down and tie on night 2. Night 6 I saw a lot more suites. I wouldn't pack more than what was necessary. Why pay for more luggage if a multi-use semi-formal would be just fine.

That's how I pack now (sail Celebrity - no issues).

Thanks for the info guys! I have never owned a suit or tux in my life. I plan on wearing khakis, a nice button up and tie with black leather shoes (dressy).

I should be ok on Allure of the Seas?

Thanks again!

Well we are part of an endangered species. At one time this used to be a hotly debated subject but not so much anymore as most lines have abandoned formal. There is no question, most guests appear to prefer no formal nights at all, roughly 70% do and 30% want to keep it. One interesting observation here though is that 30% in favor might assure that at least a few lines keep formal. Why? Look at the smoking issue, HAL stuck with balcony smoking when all the rest of the North American majors forbid it and they stuck with it for at least four years, this occurred when only 8% of the HAL faithful smoked. Albeit, after they were the only game in town more smokers booked them.

For us, Formal hearkens back to the days of yore, days of romantic ocean travel which some yearn for the return thereof.

We have only cruised on HAL, Princess and Regent. No more HAL for us and for a bit we were not sure what Princess was going to do, but they have held fast and provide excellent formal nights, which we just experienced for a month ending a few weeks ago.

Regent went the casual route, however they are a little different due to their ample number of tables for two in every venue allowing one to feel a little bit more comfortable dressing up regardless of the dress code. But, we were just on Regent for over three weeks two months ago and guess what? I was surprised to find that even on non-formal nights many guests still dressed up for dinner in defiance of the lax dress code. Made me feel like a slob one casual night, which was rare. We made up for it though. LOL

We also like to dress up. Wink But tend to bend to the trend on most Carnival cruises.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.