Covid in 2021

Okay, so here is my query. Right now cruise lines are requiring a COVID test no less than 72 hrs from sailing. Assuming this goes into next year, what happens if you are on a ship for 2 weeks, then taking a second ship home ?

We are booked on Celebrity next August for a TA out of NJ. It ends up, after 14 days in Southampton England. Later that day we are scheduled to board the QM2 to sail back to NY. Any ideas how this might be handled? Thanks

12 Answers

Sounds like you will be making phone calls to get correct answer. Hopefully, by August it won't be an issue. But it is a great problem and I hope a simple answer.Big Smile

Right now it is wait and see. Hopefully it will be full speed ahead.

Could you contact Celebrity and see if you can get a test on the ship the day before the end of the cruise ? Or ask if there is a clinic at the port that has the quick test ?

Interesting scenario and one I am sure many had not considered. This will also effect any B2B cruise as well I assume.

I mentioned this to my physician husband, he thinks by then there should be a vaccine. If that's the case, perhaps proof of having the vaccine will be sufficient.

Fun fact:

"Since health officials started tracking it in 2003, effectiveness [of the flu vaccine] has varied from year to year, ranging from a low of 10% in 2004-05 to a high of 60% in 2010-11."

Although the vaccine will undoubtedly give people the feeling of safety, the science behind vaccine efficacy paints a completely different picture.

A few days back, the WSJ published an interesting essay predicting the post covid future. An analysis of both the good and bad, but the prediction is the aftermath may be with us for a long time. A decade?

"As long as the virus poses a material threat to life, many people won’t be willing to completely resume normal activities or to engage in many pre-pandemic purchasing behaviors. This reduced demand will unavoidably keep the U.S. in recession into the intermediate period."

"Many hope and expect that a vaccine will save us. But a vaccine won’t give us an early exit. With all the disparate vaccine trials under way, we will eventually invent several vaccines, of varying effectiveness—just not in time to make a major difference in the primary course of the pandemic. After all, invention of a vaccine is just the first step. The pharmaceutical must then be manufactured, distributed and—most important—accepted by substantial numbers of people world-wide. But vaccine uptake may not be rapid or widespread, especially if its safety is in doubt."

"Either way, with a good vaccine or without one, Americans will live in an acutely changed world until 2022—wearing masks, avoiding crowded places and limiting travel, at least if they wish to avoid getting or spreading the virus."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-long-shadow-of-the-pandemic-2024-and-beyond-11602860214?st=tcdtltph7na4ywp&reflink=article_copyURL_share&fbclid=IwAR3V1BCQdkGUfcfhjsNe2wm364zHtbwuAlxKY2f1iF5hYzUTh6NfxtPDKrw

As it stands now, you won't be sailing and neither will we. One of the conditions of allowing cruises to continue is, no sailings longer than 7 days until Nov 2021.

Not necessarily, the language allows for CDC to permit shortening or lengthen cruise length. Depends upon how things are going.

(2) The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.