CCL LOOKING TO BORROW ANOTHER 600M!!

Just happened to catch it on BLOOMBERG....details sketchy but they want to float (excuse the pun) ANOTHER 600m in "unsecured" junk bonds. its the 5th time they're doing it, and not sure who would have the "appetite" for such an offering. Some of this is above my paygrade. but i just don't see how they're going to survive this. If they do, an inside cabin would require a second mortgage...

28 Answers

That doesn't surprise me, cruise lines are taking a bath in this pandemic! Bookings are up, yes, but with all the FCC and refunds they have to issue, they must be gaining as much as they're losing.

Yeah, well good luck to them. I'll be curious to see the terms of anyone who would borrow them that amount. I don't see how anyone would think CCL can service that much total debt under the uncertainty of the current circumstances.. If they do you'll be right about needing a second mortgage for an inside cabin booking.

What's puzzling to me is they have not postponed construction of their second XL Class Ship (Celebration~$950m) and they just broke ground on their new Miami Terminal (~$120m). Doesn't seem like belt tightening to me.

They must know something that they're sharing with potential investors (but not the paying customers of course). I wonder if they already have been told 2021 is not going to happen? Oh well, it's all way above my level of understanding.

Of course as I said before, there's always the gov't. I could see them guaranteeing a loan for CCL. All it would take would be for them to agree to re-incorporate as a US company, thus subject to all that juicy taxation. Those of you who have read my previous posts know I'm very cynical about the gov't. It wouldn't surprise me if they're holding the lines hostage, just waiting for them to come begging to loosen the restrictions.

WELLLLLL.per BLOOMBERGTV.now its up to 3.5BILLION,,,,,not bothering to find the link.....this is absurd........

I agree you have a great attitude. I would do well to also cultivate your mindset.

It's just we finally found a vacation medium that our entire family enjoyed. We live in Wisconsin, and trips to the Northwoods lake country wasn't enjoyed by my daughter (mosquitos, snakes, etc.....) My wife and I can't walk the theme parks (bad knees, hips & backs). After a couple days in a car, road trips were boring for the kids and played havoc on my spine.

For us, cruising hit that sweet spot by offering something exciting for everyone. I regret I didn't get the family into it sooner. Oh well, as you stated no matter what happens at least we have some awesome memories.

Well so far the market isn't punishing them for the announcement. In fact, the stock is up a few pennies. That could change if they actually pull the trigger.

I have noticed their "deals" sometimes aren't deals...but then, I'm old school and they wouldn't let me out unless i could cypher...but in any event...you have an excellent attitude, and seems to me alot of us are going to have to learn to adopt it....

Carnival has been sending me really good deals in the last 2 months or so. They range from 40 percent off cruises to free liquor. Once the pandemic hit, I was of the mindset I may never cruise with Carnival again. I didn't do the FCC and deposits because I had a bad feeling about the industry as a whole. I think some have done a great job explaining what life will be like on a cruise ship for the near future and for me it doesn't sound too exciting. Some might say it will never be the same! That's ok I have plenty of wonderful memories.

Can't say this news is surprising. I also agree that 2021 cruising is going to be a wash. Best case scenario imho is limited cruising for 2022. Hope I am wrong.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.