Recipe: Princess' Italian Sunset & Oceania's Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
Take a mini tour of Italy with these mouth-watering recipes from Princess and Oceania Cruises. Start off the evening with a bright Italian Sunset cocktail from Princess, then sit down to one of the ultimate comfort-food dishes — Spaghetti Alla Carbonara from Oceania's Senior Chef Instructor Noelle Barille.
Italian Sunset — Princess Cruises
- 1 oz. Aperol
- 1 oz. Bombay Sapphire Gin
- .75 oz. lemon juice
- .5 oz. simple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange twist for garnish
- Add all ingredients except for garnish in cocktail shaker.
- Shake and strain all ingredients into chilled glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
Spaghetti Alla Carbonara — Oceania Cruises
- 14 ounces guanciale lardons (or pancetta or thick-cut smoked bacon)
- 1 pound dried spaghetti (or bucatini, rigatoni, or linguine)
- 3 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (or Pecorino Romano, Grana Padano, or a combination of Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature (you can experiment with this a bit – some like to use 2 whole eggs, egg whites included, instead)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, sear the guanciale (or pancetta or bacon), stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the pork is crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Reserve warm.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a vigorous boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, warm a large serving bowl with hot water. Just before the pasta is finished cooking, discard the water in the bowl.
- Add the guanciale, cheeses and egg yolks to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Using tongs, transfer the pasta to the bowl and toss to combine. Add pasta water if needed to smooth out the sauce.
- Season to taste with pepper and serve immediately.
Join the discussion
Do you plan to make one/both of these recipes?