A good ship for peaceful cruising

Westerdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

7 Night Alaskan Explorer Via Glacier Bay (Seattle Roundtrip)
Sail Date: May 24, 2009
Ship: Westerdam
I am not sure that I am a cruise person, but that said, this was an impressive ship.

The buffet was often disappointing. One of the two drink dispensers was out of order so that was a big hassle. The lines were long and the layout of various types of food wasn't optimal. The sit-down dinners were phenomenal, however.

The music and comedy were excellent. The movies were shown in a room not well suited for movies - not enough chairs that could actually see the screen. The entertainment generally was targeted towards people much older than myself.

I don't enjoy being waited on hand and foot but there's no escaping it on a cruise ship I suppose. I disliked the caste system. I saw other passengers being rude to the staff for no good reason and this made me sad.

This was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare it with, but the ship seemed to be excellent. It was unfortunate that the library/reading room was unavailable, however, so if I wanted to read, I had to do it in the always crowded and often noisy Explorations Cafe.

Our room was tiny and not well cleaned when we arrived. A kitchen and possibly also the engine were very near our room so there were loud noises all the time.
I visited Victoria about 12 years ago and it was much more interesting then. It has become very touristy. We only had a few hours there, so it probably would have been more enjoyable with more time to explore.
Don't Miss: The street performers in the Inner Harbour (across from the Empress Hotel)
There were several very good thrift stores all within easy walking distance from the ship. Other than those, there wasn't much of interest here - it was all very touristy.
Don't Miss: The thrift stores
If you're there on the right day, you can go to the White Elephant thrift store which was fun. Ernie's Bar was an awesome place to have a drink. Very friendly and interesting locals there and highly amusing artifacts on the walls.
Don't Miss: The Russian Orthodox church and nearby cemetery
Walking around town, beyond the tourist row on the waterfront, is lovely. The Alaska museum was very worthwhile and only $5.
Don't Miss: The Governor's House

Pros: There were not many children on this ship.

Cons: I am not a person who enjoys having servants.

Recommends Westerdam? Yes!