Great Cruise, Food underwhelming

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Vision of the Seas

6 Night Western Caribbean Holiday (Galveston Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 23, 2017

Ship: Vision of the Seas

Cabin number: 4020

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

The Vision is not a flashy ship and the food was nothing to write home about, however, we had a nice time, met some great people, and being a smaller ship it was easy to navigate and find your way around. Definitely need to work on the dining experience both in the windjammer and the dining room but we didn't starve and enjoyed the experience. I do think something should be offered to compensate for missed port of call though. Understand it was not the Captain's fault but it wasn't the fault of the passengers either.

Embarkation

Embarking the ship was the easiest every! There were no long lines, completely hassle free.

Ship experiences

The dinners in the mail dining room were underwhelming. With the exception of the manager who did try to make up for sub-par food one night the staff appeared stressed and overwhelmed.

Main Lounge

I'm not sure if it was the main lounge but the staff at the pool bar were great! Very friendly and made us feel like we were on a cruise to have fun.

Had a great time dancing at the pool each night with the band and the line dancing.

All of the bands, line dance leaders, etc were great. They made it fun!

Did not bring children on the cruise.

Only saw my room steward once and he was friendly. Whoever the young lady is that works in the windjammer at the soda machine really should not be interacting with the public, always a sour look on her face and annoyed to serve. The waiters in the main dining room were not unfriendly, just seemed hurried and stressed with no time to interact.

It was a smaller ship which many were disappointed about, I found it easier to get around than on a larger ship so I was fine with it. All areas appeared to be well maintained with the exception of the tables on deck 5 smoking side, they were never clean in the morning.

Room was fine, small but you get what you pay for. The only complaint is the shower, very difficult to shower without taking the entire bathroom for a swim.

Ship tip

You do not have to eat breakfast at the buffet and get the cold food, choose to go into your assigned dining room and you can select from the menu. It's a much better option.

Ports of call

Galveston, Texas

Nothing to report, I am from Texas and Galveston was our departure port.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico Did not visit port

VERY disappointed we did not visit Costa Maya as this is the one port I have never been to and the reason I booked this cruise. I understand the Captain did the right thing in turning the ship around for the medical emergency it was just disappointing to miss the port of call.

No excursion but did some major jewelry shopping (at least major for me). The escort on the shopping trip was great as well.

Progreso (Merida), Mexico Did not visit port

Went there last cruise and was not impressed, we stayed on the ship for this port.

Disembarkation

Fantastic! We did self-assist disembarkation and walked into the centrum at the time scheduled and walked right off the ship. We did not wait in any lines at customs, easiest disembarkation ever. I'm not sure the difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival but Royal Caribbean has this part down!