Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Best Cruise Yet

Sail Date: June 24, 2011

The ship wasn't too huge. It had two pools, an adequate number of loungers, nice theater and lounge for shows and activities. There were four hottubs, but they closed early, but a pool was always open. The casino does not have a craps table. There is only one kitchen for the dining room, so service is sometimes a little slow during the main dinner seating. Food was available until late and the ship has 24 hr room service (fee between midnight and 5 am). Didn't use the fitness center or rock climbing wall.

Pros: Acitivities, Dining Room seating assignment

Cons: Jacuzzi spas closed too early. Timing of special casino activities.

Recommends Splendour of the Seas? Yes!

Clean, well kept ship. Good number of elevators and everything was easily accessible. No stairwells in aft of ship, so you couldn't easily go from the spa area down to your aft stateroom without going almost all the way to midship to find stairs. Enough open space and public areas though.
Large interior stateroom was still a little on the small side, but hey, you are on a cruise ship. There was a nice hairdryer in the room though with a straightening attachment. Some TV stations didn't come in well, but I felt very comfortable in the stateroom. Couldn't hear announcements though in the stateroom.
Great activities staff. Some of the shows were a little out of touch. There was one singer who only sang songs from before 1940. Wow, I think there were only 17 people on the ship born before 1940, and all but two of them were in bed before the 9:15 pm show. The dancers were good though, and the Rat Pack and 4 Seasons shows were fantastic. Karaoke was fun, but needed better judges that appreciate karaoke.
Excellent food options. Dining times didn't overlap with all-aboard times. No specialty restaurants and "filet mignon" from the Chops Grille menu was just okay (even though I got it twice). Dining room ambience was good and seating at our table was done by age which was fabulous! We sat with three other young couples and it was nice to make new friends that I wanted to spend time with on board and at port. Hooray for Royal Caribbean!
Very helpful staff. Always courteous. I only had one drink that I ordered that never came. Otherwise 100% on the ball.
Split, Croatia
Stopped here on a national holiday, so everything was closed.
Don't Miss: Here they invented the necktie. Get yours for $80.
Mykonos, Greece
Go to paradise or sostis beach. I rented an ATV (only 50cc as others are not allowed) and saw all the beaches. They aren't very sandy (rather pebbly). I found paradise to be the nicest.
Don't Miss: Mykonos town is fun to see.
Corfu, Greece
We were fortunate enough to choose the Glyfada beach excursion! Nice sandy beach on the west side of the island. Very beautiful way to spend the day!
Don't Miss: Glyfada beach!
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
So hot. It is easily walkable. Get to the Agropolis early so you don't get trapped in the crowds when lots of people are trying to get up and down through the small staircase at the gates. You can easily commute with the metro if you don't mind the walk. Metro tickets are about 1.50. Taxi into town is 20.
Don't Miss: Parthenon and Slouvaki row.
Santorini, Greece
See the red beach. Take an ATV (at least 150cc) and ride down to the south part of the island and hike over to red beach. Also eat some grilled corn. Delicious! Oia seemed like a waste of time to me. Too touristy. Although I found a decent restaurant not right on the tourist road.
Don't Miss: Ride a donkey down the steps to the tender area.
Souda (Chania), Crete
Cute little town. Plenty to do in the old town. We took a boat out and went snorkeling for an hour. Also good internet cafes and dining on the harbour. Vendors are polite and not pushy. Old town is clean and well kept.
Don't Miss: Old Town Chania.
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
Go to the beaches a little farther up the west coast. I would recommend Sklyfada or Kouratos (check my spelling of that one). You can rent a moped and get there in about 20 minutes. Didn't go to Olympia. The actual town of katakolon is very small.
Don't Miss: Getting out of Katakolon...