Not as great an experience as expected

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

10 Night Southern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: February 26, 2016
Ship: Serenade of the Seas

The Serenade of the Seas was an older ship but was very clean and in good repair.  But there seemed to be a shortage of staff in the buffet dining on the 11th deck of the ship.  We would be sitting with empty plates not taken away as soon as they usually do that.  And you didn't see many wait staff helping out.  The food in the buffet was okay but I wasn't happy with many of the selections.  I would have a salad each day for lunch as not much else appealed to me.  The food in the dining room was so-so.  It used to be excellent on our other sailings years ago and it made my cruise on Norwegian that I took in November 2015 seem so much better.  I am used to RCCL being much better than Norwegian.  The wait staff in the dining room were excellent, and we had my time dining with a group of 22 and they always had our wine and drinks there when we arrived for dinner.  But we did have some problems getting out tables near each other and some nights we didn't have enough seats for all 22.  We had our time set up for 6:15 every night so they should have had us set up for that time.  They kept shifting us from one area to another.  After the third or fourth night we were set up in the same area.  The entertainment was not very good.  The RCCL singers and dancers show was very good and the comedian was great also.  But the other shows were not up to the level of entertainment as we were used to on this cruise line.  The Centrum was a small area and they held some shows there but it was almost impossible to see anything because of the crowds in such a small area.  The entertainment in the small lounges was very good.

Overall, this cruise was fun as we were with such a large group, but it made me want to try other lines for our next cruise.  The cabins were very clean and the stewards were very good also.

Cabin was clean and the location was great!! The steward was great also.

The gym was very good and the equipment easy to use.