Skip it

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: February 14, 2015
Ship: Serenade of the Seas

This was my third cruise. I have cruised with RC once, and Carnival once. RC was better than Carnival between my first two cruises (more activities, better food, great staff, etc.), but in the 5 years between my first sailing with RC to now, things have changed. I was traveling with my husband to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. He hadn't been on a cruise before, but we did a week long because I had so much faith in RC to be fun. To be honest, we spent most out time in our room, reading our books. We did this for a couple reasons: 1, the daily activities didn't appeal to a younger couple. 2, the lines for the bar were ridiculous (we had to wait in line for 5-10 min to order a drink because the ship was so crowded), and there wasn't any room to just sit peacefully by the pool or in one of the public spaces. All of the pool chairs are tied to each other and the ship (which makes sense, you don't want them sliding away while in the sea) but they were to the point you couldn't even lay the back down. You HAD to sit up. Who wants to sit up by a pool the whole time? They used to have staff walk around, to wait on you. This isn't the case anymore. The windjammer's food sucked. The main dining room's lunch and dinner was fine, but it was obvious they wanted you to spend your money on the additional restaurants and not put as much effort into the dining room. Daytime activities were Bingo & Trivia... playing this everyday for a week is too much.

Ports of call were Falmouth, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel. All the ports were not the best. If you wanted to do any excursion, you had to drive 30 min or so + to get anywhere.

Cruises just aren't what they once were. Next time, we're going to just book a week in a single destination at a resort.

We Zip-lined & went to Dunn's Falls- this was fun!
We went on a sail and snorkel excursion- this was fun! The port wasn't great.
Our excursion was canceled, so we took a taxi to the Mayan Ruins & drove around the island.