Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great Service but Ship Needs Updating

Sail Date: January 17, 2015

I had sailed on Freedom of the Seas 18 months ago, the only Royal cruise I've tried.  I have sailed on Carnival once.  I will start with the CONS- so I can end on a good note- This ship badly needed a reno, especially in the Reflections Dining Room which had brown paneling on the walls.  There was an odor from the carpet around some of the elevators.  The food was mediocre in the dining room, a real disappointment compared to the food on the Freedom.  The entertainment also was not as good as on Freedom, only because the cruise director seemed bored, the Centerum which hosted many continual events often reeked of smoke from the casino on the middle floor, and the comedian was NOT funny.  However, the singer/dancers were top notch, the orchestra fantastic, and the ventriloquist they had made us laugh until we cried.  (I can't remeber his name)

The PROS- The service, however, was excellent in all areas of the ship.  Our waiter was so willing to make everything a great experience for us even doing "tricks" at the end of some of our meals (balancing acts, "magic" tricks).  Our stateroom attendant was also super, actually calling each of us by our first name everytime he saw us in the hall (and sometimes we were with 2 other couples)!   The rooms were clean and we got an excellent rate for our room that had an oceanview.  The bathrooms on the ship were also clean.  Some of the entertainment was superb as mentioned, others not so much.

I would not give up on Royal, but I would not sail on this ship again.

Needs renovation as described
Service beyond expectation. Food was not as fresh as I experienced on another Royal ship
Clean. Great service
Service and Staff Raymond was our extraordinary waiter (and his assistant in training from Singapore was the sweetest girl you will ever meet) and our stateroom attendant surpassed expectations (I did not understand his name I'm sorry)
The cruise director seemed burnt out with his job, but maybe it was because the previous one on The Freedom was so funny he couldn't compare. The comedian on the last night on the ship was not funny and several eople walke out. The other events were good to superb.
The only one I went to was the wine tasting and the host was extremely knowledgeable
We booked the last 2 port of calls with Royal because we were disappointed with our tour in Jamacai. We feel we got our maney's worth: sail and snorkle on a Catamaran in Grand Cayman and a submarine ride in Cozumel.
New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans is famous for Bourbon Street. When you go there keep your money close! Also, we found a place to park our 12 passenger van for $84/week close to the port, but make sure it is safe and secure where you park! New Orleans crime rate is very high.
Falmouth, Jamaica
It is an island where scamming is the mode of operatus. Beware!
George Town, Grand Cayman
Beautiful trip on a Catamaran to snorkel by a reef and sunken ship. The instructors were funny but still professionsl. The drink offered on the trip back was yummy and worth the money! We powered out and sailed back, which is a beautiful thing to see the full sails of a large Cat.
We took a submarine along a reef- wonderful experience and the instructor really knew his stuff and had a passion to teach it.

Do buy at the shops owned by Royal, especially in Jamacai, because the prices will be better. You may pay more for the excursions offered by the ship, but you have the peace of mind they are safe and they will make sure you are on it and wait for you if needed.

1 Comment