Not a great cruise, one nightmare after another!

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Rhapsody of the Seas

14 Night Canary Islands & Cococay (Barcelona To Tampa)

Sail date: November 05, 2017

Ship: Rhapsody of the Seas

Cabin number: GTY

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Rhapsody of the Seas was the WORST cruise I have ever been on. I must note that I have been on four other RoyalCaribbean ships and never had a single complaint on any of them. So not sure if this was just a rare occurrence, but read on, and you'll see just how horrible my experience was on the Rhapsody. First, the VROOM "high-speed" internet was extremely unreliable and far from being high-stream. We were mostly unable to connect at all to the internet, and we could, the speed was very, very slow. We were so frustrated with the service and spoke with the internet manager who was very cold and possessed a horrible attitude. She said either cancel the VROOM package immediately or wait and see if the internet gets better. I eventually requested a refund from the Front Desk Manager. Second, the soda machines in the Wind Jammer Cafe were not working during the entire length of the cruise. I purchased the unlimited coke package before boarding the ship and was shocked to see only the machine on the 6th deck, center atrium, working fine. I was either told by the beverage staff in the Windjammer to either go to the 6th deck to get soda, buy the cans available from them, or drink the consistently flat and horribly tasting soda they had in bottles. Third, the temperature in our cabin was inconsistent and uncomfortable. At first, it was too cold and we requested a technician to come by and fix the matter. The next day, the room became too hot (regardless of our setting) and we had to request another technician to come by and finally resolve the issue. Fourth, one evening I was ill and missed the dinner seating in the main dinning area on the 5th deck by a few minutes. The maître d' or head waiter at that moment (a gentleman) informed me the kitchen was closed and there was nothing they could have done. I was disappointed and we decided to go to the 4th deck main dinning area and the nice head waiter was kind enough to retriever a full course meal for me. I could not understand why the man on the 5th deck dinning room was so cold and and uncooperative, and yet, was happy to receive such amazing service from the other man in the 4th deck main dinning area. More disappointments included the very poor quality of food at the Windjammer Cafe, Park Cafe and main dinning area (had experienced higher quality foods on other RoyalCaribbean cruises), and the Windjammer Cafe being closed in early afternoon after we arrived back on the ship from an excursion organized by RoyalCaribbean. We were also dismayed, ALTHOUGH WE REALIZE NO FAULT OF ROYAL CARIBBEAN'S, that Cococay was canceled due to inclement weather and sea waves, as well as taking almost four hours to exit the ship when we arrived in Tampa. We understand that Royal Caribbean had no control over these matters, but after all of the negative experiences previously mentioned, it was like pouring salt on an open wound.

Embarkation

Perfect, no problems whatsoever.

Ship experiences

Windjammer Marketplace

Very, very, very bad food and almost no variety throughout a 14-day cruse. Just an awful experience.

Main Dining Room

Mostly poor quality food and bad selection.

Casino Royale

Awful casino!

Ports of call

Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

Santa Cruz De La Palma, Canary Islands

Cococay (Cruise Line's Private Island) Did not visit port

Waves were too harsh, captain decided to avoid Cococay and we stayed at sea.

Disembarkation