Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Royal Caribbean no longer noble

Sail Date: June 22, 2015

We chose this cruise for the ports and good prior experience with Royal Caribbean.  While the ports were excellent, this is a smaller ship and a bit boring.  While I do not rock climb and would never "ride the waves" on their newer ships, I found there was little entertainment except that of the evening show and even that was poorly timed at 7 & 9 pm.  Many passengers obviously enjoyed themselves but I believe it was partially due to the 3-2-1 package of free beverages that they chose.  Being boringly sober, I memorized the same episode of Castle I fell asleep to nightly (I tried watching The Mentalist, only shown in German, but hadn't seen it frequently enough to remember the plot).

The balcony cabin was a decent size but the balcony unusually small.  Two small sitting upright chairs and a small table was all that would fit.  Royal Caribbean seems to have given up any pretense of luxury such as small lotion, shampoo, or conditioner bottles.  One soap dispenser was in the shower and even that became empty - our cabin attendant forgot to refill it.  The beds were hard and it took 3 days to get the egg crate we requested when first meeting the cabin attendant (yes, we tipped him generously).

There are movies shown on the deck but no blankets, hot chocolate, or other amenities were provided like Princess does.  In short, what made the vacation was the fact that in an 11 night cruise, we were only at sea 2 days.  No port lecturers, other than shopping, were given and there were few interesting daytime activities.  Pricing on computer services were the most outrageous I've seen.

Like many cruise lines, Royal Caribbean seems to be pushing "My Time" dining.  I booked early in January and could not get late seating.  The food was basic and the service decent.  The daily newsletter had little sense of reality in that it had the dining places and times listed incorrectly on port days, said that a port (shopping) lecture on Mykonos and Crete (in the title) would talk about Rhodes and Santorini, and told us we would depart the ship on June 20.  Our cruise ended on July 2.

Poorly times if you wanted to eat dinner. Shows were at 7 & 9 pm.
The balcony was the smallest we have ever had. Only room for 2 upright chairs and a table; you could easily see the adjacent balcony. When the beds were separated, the distance between the cabinet and bed made black & blue marks a hazard - poor design. Beds were hard. No amenities given in bathroom. Be sure to bring your own shampoos, conditioners, and lotions!
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
Great place to shop!
Bodrum, Turkey
Take taxi to the Castle. The ship port is 2 coves away.
Rhodes, Greece
Santorini, Greece
Pay for a tour (book before cruise from Shore Excursions). This is the most interesting island.
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Very difficult to find the cheaper public transportation on a Sunday. Poorly marked port.
Mykonos, Greece
A bit boring if you do not like the beach.
Souda (Chania), Crete
Long trip to see Knossus but it is worth seeing. Otherwise, this port is much like the others.
Istanbul, Turkey

If you have a choice, do not choose this ship.

1 Comment