Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

the best cruise ever!

Sail Date: August 14, 2009

The public areas were all very clean & well maintained. The food was excellent & varied. So many activities & so little time - I wanted to do them all, but couldn't be in two places at once. The staff was the absolute best - so friendly, helpful, and funny! I loved that after a few days many of them were greeting me by name. They really went out of their way to make everyone feel great & have a wonderful time. The day we were supposed to dock in Skagway the weather was very bad and ended up cruising to Mendenhall Glacier instead. The staff really did an excellent job that day to make it worth our while & added activities to the day's itinerary.

Pros: the staff & numerous activities

Cons: there was so much to do & so little time - some activities should have been offered twice to give a chance to anyone who missed it while doing something else

Recommends Rhapsody of the Seas? Yes!

This was a smaller ship than the ones I'd been on previously, and I liked it - felt cozy & easy to get around. I constantly saw the staff cleaning up round the clock & that was appreciated! My only complaint was that there were several decks dedicated to smokers, and I'm not a smoker.
We used the Windjammer Buffet for breakfast & lunch, and had dinner in the formal dining room. The food was wonderful, plentiful, and there was lots to choose from. The waiters were fabulous! They were funny, entertaining, and also got to know us by name. I would recommend extending the hours of the Windjammer because there were times where we had to rush before or after due to planned activities.
Can't say enough about the staff! I only wish I could take them all with me on my next cruise. They were fabulous! Funny, entertaining, helpful, friendly. They really made a difference on our cruise. I coudn't believe how they got to know our names & greeted us each time they saw us.
We didn't have children with us but I did see how the counselors took care of them and the children seemed quite entertained. At night, at dinner, the children entertained us with skits they had learned during the day - nice touch!
So much to do, so little time. My only lament was that I couldn't be in two places at once. I would recommend offering some of the activities more than once during the cruise (for example, we couldn't take the country line dancing lessons because we were at another activity). The adult activities were hilarious! - "Quest" and "Kamikaze Kareoke" left my cheeks hurting from laughing so much! Even bingo was a scream! If I hadn't already been playing, I would have easily just sat & watched.
There were 3 in our party so we were grateful not to have to share a bed (we had twin beds, plus a bunk). We had an inside room, so there was no view, but the views were spectacular up on deck, so not a problem. We would have liked a litte more room for suitcases, however. Otherwise, the rooms were fine. Loved those adorable towel animals left on our beds each night!
Skagway, Alaska
We actually did not dock in Skagway, as the weather would not permit it. However, we went on to Ketchican & it turned out to be a great port to visit. Lots of shops, beautiful homes nestled in the mountains, thousands of pine trees & snow capped mountains.
Don't Miss: Do not miss the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show!
Victoria, British Columbia
Small & beautiful city. Lots of flowers & pretty homes. We took a map & zigzagged up and down each and every street - must have walked about 10 miles & saw the entire town. Worth it to see how the locals live.
Don't Miss: the waterfront, with all its little houses on right on the water
Juneau, Alaska
Pretty town, colorful, picturesque, awesome views! We went whale watching - what an experience!
Don't Miss: definitely take a ride on the Mt. Roberts tram & see the majestic views!