Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: Third Mate

We were the Guinea Pigs for RCCL

Sail Date: November 23, 2014

Room Type: Suite

We were fortunate to book last minute Thanksgiving cruise on the new Quantum.  It was the inaugural trip.  The maiden voyage was from Germany to the United States.

While the ship is quite nice, they had so many problems of things going wrong.  The elevators playing with passengers by not stopping at the floors they pushed, soot from the engines landing on me and my balcony (my suite was in the middle of the rear of the ship) to name a few.  The idea of just speciality restaurants seems that it would be a good idea, but it is hard to get reservations for when you want unless you have done that in advance.  The food at the Windjammer is laid out beautifully but not very tasty.  Although the breads and cookies were very good.  There was not enough variety of cooked vegetables.  Because of the weather on this trip, some activities were closed.  We had rain and wind for the first three days.  We could not go to cococay because the tenders could not come out to the ship because of the wind and choppy water.  I would take this trip again because I like leaving from NJ but I would do it when the weather is more predictable.  Also when it would be cheaper.  It is tough to pay so much for a suite when you are the guinea pig.  The price will be less in the weeks to follow.

It should get better when the quirks are worked out. Also I felt that the promenade was too confining.
Mario and Reyno of the Concierge Club were wonderful. Marco in the coastal kitchen was excellent.
The new i rip wind tunnel is awesome. The kids liked the basketball and bumper cars.
on an 8 night cruise out of NJ, there are not too many place you can stop. Having never been to Cape Kennedy, I enjoyed that a lot. Nassau is Nassau. Nothing special.
I had a grand loft suite. It was fantastic. Mine was in the middle of the row of suites. It was more spacious than the end suite even though they are both Grand Loft suites.
Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey
parking is very convenient for the ship.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Enjoyed Cape Kennedy. Other members of my family went to Disney. Unfortunately the weather was rain and drizzle most of the day.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island) We were not able to go ashore due to weather.

1 Comment