Great Way to See the Hawaiian Islands

Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

7 Night Hawaii (Honolulu Roundtrip)
Sail Date: March 31, 2007
Ship: Pride of America
My family of five just returned from cruising The Pride of America. I have been on seven cruises and have travelled with my family on three cruises. The check in process in Honolulu was very effecient. The ship appeared to be clean throughout the cruise. This is a great way to see the islands of Hawaii. There are so many excursions to choose from on the ship. But we are quite independent travellers and ended up picking up a car rental on each of the islands thru Thrifty. If you decide to do this be prepared for a little wait to catch the shuttle back and forth to the ship and also picking up the actual car. It was not only Thrifty that had this challenge it appeared to be all of the agencies. Also, the parking at Kahului pier in Maui was inadequate. We ended up parking in an industrial area. I was worried about theft but never heard about any incidences.
The service on board was ok. We have always experienced attentive international staff on other ships and found the staff on Pride a little lacking. I just felt that the staff was not intuitive as to needs like you would find on some ships that the staff remains for a year or two. Alot of the staff seemed to be new or not intending to sign up for another tour of duty.
I'm not completely sold on the freestyle dining yet. If you didn't want to wait you needed to make reservations. It was just another thing I really didn't want to have to think about. However, it was nice to have different choices as to cuisine. We went to the Lazy J twice. The first time was fantastic. The filet was probably the best I have ever had. The service was great. But the second time was not the same experience for service and taste.
We had a outside stateroom with a balcony. (We will never cruise again without a balcony, well worth the additional cost) It was ok as far as storage and space.
The highlight of the trip for us was seeing the volcano flowing at night and cruising pass the Napali Coast. Something you just can't see from land. It was awesome.

waimea canyon was nice.
Don't Miss: the drive to Hanelei

Don't Miss: Biking down Haleakula
The drive around the volcano was great. But a helicopter over it was fantastic.
Don't Miss: The helicopter over the volcano

Pros: The itinerary

Cons: Not enough time to enjoy the ship

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!