Subpar Caribbean Cruise

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Oasis of the Seas

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 07, 2018

Ship: Oasis of the Seas

Cabin number: 3830

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

Overall, this cruise was not worth the amount of money I spent on it. While the service at dinner was great I felt as if I was just a pig being lead to the slaughter wherever I went due to the large number of people on the boat. I also felt as if bevause I wasn't a platinum or diamond member I was considered second class on the boat at areas like the show or on the private island. I will not be returning to this boat again and I am honestly very frustrated with Royal Caribbean so it will be a long time before I cruise with this line again.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

While the food was okay- nothing amazing- I found that the boat was Nickle and diming us everywhere we went. I am not a drinker so requiring everyone in a state room to buy the alcohol package is a waste of money for me. I did appreciate the 10 drink package but I wish I would have heard about it earlier on in the week. I also found that the complimentary things were sparse compared to other ship's we have been on. I could only get tea in the wind jammer or at dinner... no where else on the cruise ship which was extremely inconvenient. The bars would not give me a glass of water without seeing my sail and sign card... all I wanted was a glass of water and it was a chore to get that done. For the price of this cruise I expected things to be convenient and nothing really was.

Windjammer Marketplace

The wind jammer was very clean and the service was as quick as possible for a boat with this many people on it. The food was your standard cruise buffet line. I just wished the restaurant was bigger to better accommodate such a large number of guests on board. It always took at least 20 to 25 minutes to get into the cafe because there was always a line of people wrapped around the entrance. The staff did a great job finding tables that would accommodate groups but that took time and caused the back log in the line.

American Icon Grill

Fantastic service for both breakfast and dinner. Our waiters were amazing and very prompt.

The show CATS was absolutely atrocious. As someone who enjoys Broadway shows I found this onebl to be mind numbing and a waste of time. I left by intermission and did not return. The dancers were extremely talented but the content of the show was boring and quite confusing. The comedians on board were great. The head liner from Las Vegas was the best night time show offered on the boat. The band's playing around the ship were also very good. The reason for the low score is solely based on the horrific production of cats.

On Air Club

Bigger bars on the boat which was nice. I wish they would have kept this bar for all the different games that were going on during the cruise. It was Saturday night and they were playing the college football game as well as the start of the series for the Astros and the Red Socks. Half way through the game they were turned off for another event to go on there. When asked where we could find another place with the games on we were told no other venue would be showing them so we would have to watch them in our stateroom. Many people left irritated that we were not able to find a common area to watch it with other people.

Our dinner servers Nelson and Lidiia were FANTASTIC the entire week. They had drink orders memorized, were very aware when we were getting low on things like bread or needed refills. They offered great understanding of the food which helped me choose plates I would like . The service in the wind jammer was also very prompt but for a ship this size there should be q larger wind jammer so the line to get into it wouldn't be long no matter what time of the day it is. When boarding the boat, we found our group was split up andas we worked with the man in charge to try and get the situation figured out itbwas slightly hostile and came off as he was just trying to fit us in somewhere and not really listening to what we wanted.

This was a beautiful ship and was pretty clean most of the time. In some of the nar areas drinks were left sitting on tables for an unusually long time. Up on deck there were multiple occasions where drinks sat under chairs for 30+ minutes before they were picked up.

Our cabin Stewart did an AMAZING job maintaining our cabin and keeping it as clean as possible. The reason for the low score is due to the lay out of the cabin. Our room had 4 adults and we were expecting it to be very tight but would have rooms dud to the drop down beds from the ceiling that have been on every other boat we have been on. In this room, having the couch turn into a bed in the middle of the room made it so much smaller and very difficult to get around in the evening time. I will not go back on this boar again solely bevause of this poor lay out. Using the restroom, getting ready for bed and trying to find clothes in the morning was all 10 times more difficult than it should have been with the design of this room.

Ship tip

Don't sail on it. While the ship is beautiful and the service is great the price of it not worth what you will get.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida

Security was easy and the port was clean. The check in process upstairs was a 3 ring circus and since our group was on different decks splitting up when we got there was extremely inconvenient.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Once again, due to the size of the boat everything in the island felt extremely cramped. It took us 45 minutes to get our lunch because there were only a few open cue lines around the main beach area. Staff was saying we could be shuttled to another area to eat but it was away from the rest of our group. I also found all the extra amenities for the diamond, platinum and etc members intruding.

Disembarkation