Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Third Mate

Great Cruise Except for an Incident in Downtown Belize

Sail Date: January 11, 2015

The cruise was great!  The ship wasn't the largest but it had virtually all of the these that the larger ships have.  The free style dining was nice versus having a set time each evening.  This allowed a lot more flexibility in choosing which shows you could attend instead of having to plan around a set dinner time.  It rained a lot while in Belize, so, I stayed close to the port instead of going on excursions.  When the rain finally broke, we walked to nearby downtown Belize City and it was horrific!  The streets were dirty, trash and garbage spewed in the alley ways, and a lot of apparently homeless and/or poor native all over downtown.  One apprarently mentally ill guy actually dropped his pants on a street corner with no underwear on and changed into a pair of shorts, in plain sight!  Later, as my wife and I were walking to back to the ship we encountered this same guy who jumped at me as if he was going to hit me as we were passing him.  I jumped back and assumed a fighting postion to defend myself, and he ran away.  A few minutes later, another apprarently homeless women  was walking by as I was taking a picture of my wife in front of a historic looking building and after say to my wife, "you look nice", the lady then asked my wife if she could have my wife's pocketbook.  We knew it was time to return to the ship at that point.  I'm glad that Norgwegian is planning to replace the Belize port with the Harvest Cay private island.  All of the other stops on the cruise were nice, Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel.  Beaches that these locations were beautiful!  Paradise island each resort at Cozumel was outstanding (clean beach, clean facilities, good food, outstanding activities(snorkeling, parasailing, private pool, clean restrooms etc).  The shows on the ship were nice, the comedians were good, and we enjoyed the game shows.  Also enjoyed the opportunity to take pictures but no pressure from the staff to take tons of pictures like on other cruise lines. My cabin stewart was great as he kept our cabin cleaned and fully stocked. Embarking and disembarking the ship was smooth.  I highly recommend this ship for those whose don't want to be on a crowded, larger ship but can still enjoy virtually the same things as they would on the larger ship.

Overall, we had a great time!

Cruise Photos

Nice, smaller ship. Could use a little bit of upgrading.
Plenty of good food and staff willing to cook special items (e.g. turkey burger vs beef burger)
Our cabin stewart Delphin was great. Very polite and attentive to our needs. When I needed more cushion for my bed, he took care of providing extra egg foam cushioning to make my bed more comfortable.
Plenty of fun and games!
Lots of fun and all kinds of music.
All 3 if the 4 ports were nice. Belize was bad. Very poor, a lot of homeless and/or poor natives roaming around the downtown area near the port.
Nice location, huge window.
Tampa, Florida
Easy embarkment/disemarkment
Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras
Nice relaxing beaches, dining and shopping.
Belize City, Belize
Dirty downtown area near port, lots of homeless and/or poor people roaming downtown
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Nice beach areas with great, inexpensive massage services on the beach ($20 for 1 hour)
Awesome beach resorts, food, etc!

I had a perfect ocean view cabin on the 7th floor near midship. Close to everything, casino, onboard shopping, elevator to the poolside deck, etc.