More Passengers, Less service

Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Second Mate

7 Night Western Caribbean (Tampa Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 17, 2016

While I wasn't expecting a luxury voyage like Oceania, Celebrity or Seawind I also was not expecting to be as low as a Carnival! Somehow they have managed to add more and more passengers and their "free-style cruising" means poor service and less of it.

If you don't book a table in the 2 main dinning rooms BEFORE you sail, good luck getting a table when you want it without waiting on line. Sure they give a glass of champagne if you have to wait, but I'd rather have a table and not have to stand around or in line.

Since the advent of pre-paid gratuities, low level cruise line staff have an attitude of " I'm getting my money anyway, good or bad service". It is impossible to find a bar waiter anymore during lunch on the Lido or in the dinning rooms.

So my big complaint is that the room steward removed a shopping bag of jewelry and receipts from the room and I have yet to be bale to talk to anyone about it. I have tried calling the ship, the day we got home, untold number of calls to guest relations "we are experiencing high volume please call back later" and Twitter, email and FB. I have asked my cruise booking agent and she cant get through to them either. I purchased 2 sets of cuff links and a fairly expensive watch on board. The watch was on my wrist, but the box, guarantee paperwork and receipts along with the cuff links were removed by the steward. I hope it was not intentional but it does need to be brought to their attention.

What made this cruise tolerable was the 20+ couples from our community who were on board. That made it fun, but I have no plans to sail with NCL again.

next triSadp: 29 day voyage to Baltic on HAL next month.

Rarely saw the steward, except when he removed the stuff he shouldn't have taken on the last night.