Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Had a great time and met some great new friends.

Sail Date: January 04, 2015

Went as a solo traveler this trip and although the star does not have solo rooms and I had to pay 200% of fare they did have a solo get together hosted by a member of the staff. Mercedes was awesome and arranged dinners and activities for our group. Other cruise lines should learn from NCL how to treat the solo traveler. The itinerary was great and loved going thru the panama canal.  The star is an older ship and is showing signs of her age but I heard she was going to dry dock in march for a complete refurbishing. The food was standard cruise ship fare although I enjoy the freestyle aspect of dining. and the specialty restaurants were worth the surcharge. I just wish NCL had more cruises with interesting itineraries instead of the same boring 7 day cruises to the same ports every week.I had the room at the bow of the ship on the 4th floor next to all the machinery that was very noisy but that is what I get for booking at the last minute.

Older but going to dry dock for refurbishing in march.
Main dining rooms and buffet ok. specialty restaurants worth the surcharge.
Lots of engine noise but booked at last second and was last room available.
Mercedes who organized solo traveler activities was awesome!
Good entertainment for smaller ship without all the bells & whistles.
Lots of activities to do but they did not overly push them.
Panama canal was great & excursions were better than usual.
San Pedro (Los Angeles), California
It is LA. Best thing is to leave here.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Lots of activities here.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
favorite thing here is just walking around town. Very safe.
Huatulco, Mexico
Lots of beach activities.
Puerto Chiapas (Tapachula), Mexico
So far from everything. And once you get there not very interesting.
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Again far from everything but once you get where your going it is very nice.
Panama Canal Transit
Highlight of trip.
Cartagena, Colombia
This is one place I felt safer booking excursion thru NCL. Interesting city.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Love going to mystic mountain but anything here will be fun.
Miami, Florida
Try to fly out of Fort L if possible and avoid that miserable airport in Miami!

Use the elavators closest to the bow as they are less busy.