Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Nice boat, but the trip can get pricey

Sail Date: August 20, 2011

It's a fairly large and modern ship, with a friendly crew. I'd recommend keeping an eye on the room charges, though, since you can rack them up fairly quickly.

Pros: The food, the shows, the view out the window!

Cons: Extra charges, the constant selling of add-ons

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

The layout is a bit confusing at first, but you'll get used to it quickly. Everything is clean and sanitary.
The food and drinks are very good, but most of it isn't free. Soda is an additional charge, and the alcoholic drinks on the boat are expensive. The steakhouse and teppanyaki grill are worth the additional cover charge.
The rooms (even the upgraded ones) are small and cramped. While I didn't go on a cruise to watch TV, it would be nice if it got more than 8 channels.
Everyone is friendly, but some of the staff can be pushy about selling add-on services. I don't want to play Bingo and buy pull-tab lotto tickets every day, thanks.
The comedy shows, concerts, and acrobatic shows were impressive!
Ketchikan, Alaska
This place was pretty, but a bit overdeveloped. It was filled with tourist shops, most of which are not locally owned
Don't Miss: Lumberjack show
Prince Rupert, British Columbia
I liked this place, since it wasn't swamped with tourists like the other ports. After Juneau and Skagway, I was sick of the crowds and shopping.
Don't Miss: Whale watching
Juneau, Alaska
Juneau didn't really impress me. I took a tour outside of the city instead.
Don't Miss: Mendenhall Glacier