We had a great time!

Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Contributor Level: Third Mate

8 Night Mexican Riviera (Los Angeles Roundtrip)
Sail Date: February 10, 2007
The Norwegian Star is a beautiful ship. The crew does an outstanding job of providing great service. On the first "at sea" day, the itinerary was changed to take care of some "mechanical issues." We didn't miss any ports, but they were just in a different order. The crew handled the changes well, and we were kept informed about the itinerary changes.
Acapulco is a big city with lots of traffic congestion. The cliff divers are something to see, and we enjoyed our stop at the Chapel of Peace.
Zihuatanejo is unspoiled, so far, by tourism and commercialism. The people are very friendly, and the merchants don't swarm the tourists. Just a couple of blocks away from the waterfront, the city is "pure Mexico" - most of the shopkeepers and workers don't speak much English, and it was a real treat for me to practice my Spanish skills. In my opinion, there should be less time in Acapulco, and more time in Zihuatanejo.
We took a tour to San Jose de los Cabos, and it is a very nice little town. We found some good deals on silver and other items there. Of particular interest were the cactus garden and the glass blower.
On a previous visit to Puerto Vallarta, we visited the beach at Las Caletas, and it was great. This time we took a city tour. I would have liked to spend more time along the waterfront park, and less time at the "Rocky Point" park at the far end of the city.

Pros: It is a beautiful ship, the crew is outstanding, and the itinerary was perfect.

Cons: Some of the entertainment overstepped the bounds of propriety, especially for families.

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!