My First Cruise

Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

7 Night Alaska & Sawyer Glacier (Seattle Roundtrip)
Sail Date: May 05, 2007
Ship: Norwegian Star
First I thought vacation cruises are only for the rich and I was too reluctant to go along with my relatives invitation. As we are approaching the port in Seattle where Norwegian Star was dock, I was already amazed by the size of it. It's huge and as I walked thru the lobby, I can't believe how beautiful it was. Me and my wife was just so excited that when the band started playing as they were giving the passengers a "sail away" barbecue party, we started dancing, not minding others who also have fun of their own at the upper deck.

Food is abundant, 13 restaurant to serve us. You'll never get hungry because one is open 24 hours. At the upper deck alone, you can have a full meal buffet line, in the adjoing section of the deck, they have the hamburger line, and next to it was the barbecue line. So you have all the choices. And during dinner, we tend to be a little formal, so we used the specialty dining facilities. No problem of making reservations because they have plenty to choose from. And they crew are just so friendly. Excellent service. One time, I like all main entries in the menu and I jokingly asked for two different entries, sure enough it was granted. I went in as a passenger. I left the boat as a cargo.

Never in my life I went to watch a musical show or go to an opera of that sort. But after watching I believe it's Ryan and Company performed "Music of the Night" songs from Phantom of the Opera, I told my wife that we should start going to those musical show. The whole cruise was full of activities that we got our hands full. We even got a shopping briefing before arriving port call.

We didn't have any small kids with us, but you can't help but noticed the parade of kids and their sitters all day long so parents can have a good time.

I never met a group of professionals who were very friendly till I boarded NCL. Service with a smile. From the Captain to our room attendant. I can't forget the incident with a waiter when she overheard my wife mentioning about "missing our ethnic food". To our surprise, the next time we went to have dinner, she was served dinner specially prepared just for her. What a wonderful crew.

Ship size is unbelievable. I was wondering how in the world a full size art theater fits in their. Our state room was being made twice a day. My wife loved the carpeting in the lobby that she asked me to take a picture of her while kneeling in the floor. Because of the lay out of the boat, for the 7 days of the cruise, I felt very rich.

My wife was actually afraid of water, so we choosed a stateroom inside, but because of the size of the boat, never for once we felt that we are in the water. Our stateroom was neat and very comfortable. TV, ref and phones are available. Bathroom is very clean and our room attendant made it a point of keeping our supplies full, including coffee and drinks. The only time you will know that we are in the water was when we will have a walk by the deck.
I really didn't notice much of Skagway because I was still thinking of the Glacier when we reached Skagway.
I didn't visit this port because I was too busy taking pictures of the Bald Eagles swooping down and grabbing fish from the water. Unbelievable site. At first I thought they were seagulls until I realized they were much bigger than seagulls and have darker color. All I did was to take pictures of the Eagles, and lots of them.
Downtown Ketchican is just like in the old western civilization. It reminds of Hollywood Universal Studio. But this town is for real. I didn't go to any of the restaurant in town. I preferred the food on board
Basically the same setting with Ketchican, but bigger. More westernize than Ketchican

Pros: Everything that goes with the cruise

Cons: Getting off the boat on our last day of the cruise

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!