Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Never Again Unless they change to a 10!

Sail Date: December 09, 2007

The ship was beautiful. It was the staff that was unpleasant. At first I thought this would be a wonderful cruise and it started out nicely until for no explained reason the paying customers were no longer able to serve themselves at the buffet, thus creating a long line due to there only being one server to serve everyone. Apparently there was a virus on some other ship and no announcement was made to explain to all of the guests why all of the sudden they were not allowed to even pour themselves a glass of water! When there was a fire in the engine rooms and the ship started shaking they were very speedy in explaining to everyone what it was and when it got under control. They should have explained about the virus as well!

Pros: The shows

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? No.

The shows were excellent and some of the parties at night were as well. However, some of the activites and parties were not cordinated as well as they could have been. Most, if not all, shows and parties began late. Seating in some of the locations was impossible. The Second City group was fun and the Cameo Rascale and Chanz were excellent!
Friendly staff members were few and far between. Most of the staff couldn't be understood and couldn't understand guests. They would kind of just stare at you. Many of the staff members would gather together and talk amongst each other. The overall service was terrible. Either the ship is understaffed or the workers are just slow. I only came into contact with a few members that went above and beyond to accomodate my requests.
Although I thought the ship was beautiful as posted above, in comparison to other cruise ships I cruised on it did not meet up. The ship is long, but not as wide as others. I didn't like how public rooms, bars and restaurants seemed to be secluded and boxed away. This made it difficult to see what was going on and in a way was restrictive and unwelcoming. Having open areas allows for a sense of openess and makes guests feel welcomed.
The buffet was disappointing. The food lacked flavor and the selection was limited to similar items for the duration of the cruise. The main dining rooms had excellent presentation of the food, but it was obvious that some of the dishes were made from leftovers of food from breakfast or lunch or even the dinner from the previous night. Blue Lagoon was delicious! They had familiar foods that tasted good. There was always some sort of food available, but not always what one would crave. I cruised with carnival and I enjoyed having 24-hour pizza and ice cream. The only place that was 24-hours, that was included was room service and Blue Lagoon. Jucies should be available at all times, not just at breakfast. I know there was chocolate milk on the ship, but it was not available anywhere. I would ask for it and they would always tell me it was the last one; That couldn't always be the case.
The size was average. The TV could've been a little bigger. The bathroom and stateroom door should have some sort of device to allow the door to be propped open if desired. There should've been more outlets. Our soap and shampoo dispenser was broken.
Belize City, Belize
This place was beautiful. I enjoyed the long tender ride to the island and back; it was like getting a free boat ride! This port was extrememly accomodating to tourists. They had many shops and restaurants and bars right on the coast. The weather was the best here too. If you're looking for knock-off merchandise...this is the place. I got the impression it was not so safe because sections of it were gated off so as to protect tourists from wandering out or locals from wandering in. Despite that I did feel safe there.
Don't Miss: Stay on the port...no need to take an excursion
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Although I enjoyed being able to see how poor the area was and how people actually lived, I would not recommend stopping at this particular part of Honduras. I felt unsafe, especially once it got dark out. There was not much to do unless you took an excursion. The shopping wasn't great, but they were willing to bargain.
Don't Miss: Take an excursion or you might be bored
Cozumel was also very accomodating. There is much to do whether you're looking to shop, eat or party. There is a nice outdoor mall complex which made shopping easy. The water and beach is the most beautiful out of all of the above ports. If you're not looking to shop go to a beach and relax--white sand and aqua water!
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala
This port was more accomodating to tourists. It had a warehouse-like location filled with shops, food and music. The port itself other than that one location was very ugly. It was quite industrial. There was not enough to do to be there for 8-10 hours. If I stopped there again I would take an excursion. I wish I went on the Banana Plantation excursion.