Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A disappointing cruise

Sail Date: August 28, 2011

I was very underwhelmed with this cruise. The food in the restaurants that were included with the fare was gross. I had better dorm food when I was in college. There were 8 restaurants that you had to pay between $10-25 per person to go to. The food there was not very good either. The steaks in the main dining hall were approx 1/4 inch thick and tough. They served the exact same menu everyday. I was also extremely annoyed at the staff member that stood at every entrance/exit to dining halls and said "washy washy happy happy" and sprayed a hand sanitizer on my hands whether I wanted it or not. They were very pushy and it was very off putting. There were numerous wall mounted sanitizing stations that I could have used instead of being accosted by the staff. For the above reasons I will NEVER cruise on NCL again. The views from our balcony were great, but unfortunately we were unable to go to Juneau due to a propeller issue with the ship. They refunded 1/7 of our cruise fare in the form of onboard credit. Then they had the nerve to try to charge me a fee to use that credit in the casino. Instead I decided to have the money refunded to my credit card. The staff was constantly trying to nickel and dime us for everything. The onboard events that interested us required a fee. We were very unsatisfied with this cruise and will not use NCL in the future. The onboard events that were free were clearly meant for an older crowd. For example, there were several seminars on how to deal with arthritis, chronic back pain, non surgical face lifts, hip pain, etc.

Pros: The views from the balcony

Cons: The food was terrible

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? No.

This cruise was clearly for an older crowd. We had a difficulty finding events and activities that were appealing for us. I was not interested in hip pain, chronic back pain, nonsurgical face lifts, and general quackery promoted by staff members.
I did not appreciate constantly being sprayed by an unknown chemical sanitizing agent by the pushy staff saying "washy washy happy happy".
The layout was very confusing. After being onboard for 7 nights I still did not know my way around.